Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Wish I would have known about this crank bs before I went from cummins to duramax. Love the truck but it makes me sick wonder if or when it will break

Just enjoy your truck. It is not as common as it may seem by this thread with suck a large gathering of Duramaxs. No matter the truck you choose they all have their problems there are more achieving and approaching 300,000 miles than braking.,.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Most of the broke cranks that my buddies at different GM dealers in different parts of the country see are in stock trucks between 160 000 and 260 000 km. It isn't just these sites that are seeing the majority. It's more rampant than GM wants to admit and indiscriminate on the year.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
As of currently, I believe the only true fix is the Wagler Callies or Winberg crank that runs the narrower Hemi journal rods with a larger, more radiused and larger fillet... none of those have broken to my knowledge

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
As of currently, I believe the only true fix is the Wagler Callies or Winberg crank that runs the narrower Hemi journal rods with a larger, more radiused and larger fillet... none of those have broken to my knowledge

If I remember right I read that the narrower journal wasn't supposed to work great for a daily driver? Correct me if I'm wrong.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us

This Callies you mean :D

If someones broke one, they must have dropped it on the concrete unloading it... Mine haven't spun under their own power yet.

The narrow journal approach and larger filet is being used by several manufactures I spoke with while exploring options. Stock and stroker.

BTW: I've been working with Ivan at Fluid Damper on getting a zero balance setup to test next month on the engine dyno. Maybe some of you guys interested internally balanced setups might call him and express your interest in seeing this. His engineers keep pushing it back.

Attachments

• 20160813_231930.jpg
    20160813_231930.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Are those the hemi rods? Thought Abt doing that set up.

Callies doesn't do them in other than stock stroke and bearing diameter. Winburg does though. I have a couple of Winburg 3.650 stroke cranks with the narrow journal in dmax diameter on the way for a few builds we are doing. Then some stock stroke Callies cranks for a few other high power street trucks, including my personal truck.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Oh and we just tore down another LLY with a broken crank at the #2 main. Truck had a Danville 68 Stg 2R, 60 overs, and 10mm stroker on conservative tuning to keep rods happy. Hadn't been raced or pulled, just snapped while driving.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Looks like GM may of finally fixed the broken crank issue with the new L5P Duramax guys!!! Wonder if we will be able to use this crankshaft in builds with the excitor ring moved to the back

Attachments

• IMG_6967.JPG
    IMG_6967.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Me. Mine is stock internals and fuel but it's always in my mind. I occasionally feel an odd bit of harmonics from the motor at idle which scares me but I guess I'll drive her till she let's go somewhere

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Now I'm concerned... seems like it's all a matter of luck. Mine almost seems to pulse occasionally at idle and now the crank is on the list of possible causes..

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Has anyone else stopped checking this thread because they are tired of living their life in fear?

I look at it from time to time but never do i live my life in fear, if it goes... It goes. If anyone is afraid of breaking a crank sell your truck and buy a Prius :D