Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I don't have the clutch fan either. I would think the fan pulls more load on the crank than my injection pump does

I remmeber some international motors that would break a crank if the belt was too tight. I am thinking they were in buses. If I can ever remember I will tell you the exact model. It could be detroits i just can't remember but I bet someone does.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sure, let me know what you discover.
A company I used to work for doing optimized drilling solutions has some sensors we used but not sure what the max rpm was for them. They are about the size of a hockey puck and thread in. If it would work you would need a plate that could mount to the dampner and thread it in.
I will look into it.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
There are non-contact sensors too, but that's not the problem. You have to break down the data after you gather it.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
There are non-contact sensors too, but that's not the problem. You have to break down the data after you gather it.
Well if this works for the rpm I have a guy I might be able to bribe to do that

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Pretty sure mine is broken at the #2 since it still ran and I can move the balancer. Crank was out of a bone stock Kodiak, was magged, balanced, ATI balancer, 15.5:1 compression, electric fans, single CP3, electric water pump, motor was only in for less than a year and only had about 5,000 miles on it. Had 3.42 gears and 5 speed that put me in the sweet spot Mark is talking about, was cruising for about an hour, came to a red light, when I started to pull away it started knocking.

With no water pump, no fan, and only a single CP3 I don't think it had to do with load on the snout; previous build had dual fuelers, and a mechanical water pump (or 14 before going electric), was pushed harder and abused more, and didn't hurt the crank.

With aftermarket cranks, internal balance, ATI or Fluid Dampers, billet mains and girdles, and lower compression all not preventing crank failures I personally think that our stock firing order creates a frequency at a certain RPM range. The alternate firing order will change that frequency. Internal balancing certainly won't hurt, and personally I'll be using a new crank in my next build. They are like $950, so they are cheaper than the alt firing cam. I figure that way I know that the crank hasn't already been fatigued.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Mine seems to have broken a bit further forward than most. Sucks it broke but I think I dodged a bullet because everything else appears to have survived unscathed.

Attachments

• Crank1.JPG
    Crank1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Crank2.jpg
    Crank2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Crank3.JPG
    Crank3.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 80

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Mine broke near the very front . Stock LBZ with S483 over a DP 72 VVT . Tuning was still the tuning for single with the DP 72 . Motor had 190 K on it too.. I attributed it to mileage and not getting it retuned before I hammered on it but who knows. The failure is what made me do the build I have now . I have 6-7 K on new motor all while compounded.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Mine seems to have broken a bit further forward than most. Sucks it broke but I think I dodged a bullet because everything else appears to have survived unscathed.

Looks like there was a bit of main cap walk but not nearly as bad as mine was... How did the other caps look?

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Not to answer for mike but...

No between arp main studs, dowled mains, and a girdle there shouldn't be any reason they move.

My builder said that they are finding main cap walk is mainly tuner related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean to tell me that cap walk is being caused by who tunes it? Haha I didn't realize that was one of the dsp tables.

I would like to see some proof of that statement. Unless one tuner is running crazy timing or something, I don't see how that is possible.