Brett Deutsch runs his first 7 sec pass in "The Mistress" 69 C10 Duramax powered truck! Technical thread for the true gearheads!

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Turbo and intercooler data is interesting. HSP built Brett a custom front mount intercooler that is a 4" feed and dual 3" exits to the intake itself and the core is around 4-6" thick. At the start of the run the Turbo outlet temp is 152* and Post Intercooler is 97.475*(This is at 3900rpms and 39psi boost/40.5DrivePSI) and at the end of the 1/4 the Turbo outlet temp was 630* with the post intercooler temp hanging out at 122* which means the intercooler is doing a great job of removing 508* of heat from the charge air which means the intercooler is worth it weight, literally!!!

Last edited:

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
I know that you aren't fond of WMI, so what about some way to start with a colder air charge to reduce EGT a touch? Ghetto fog the IC with the N2O he's already running? LOL Thanks for sharing, this is great reading!!!

I tried that back in 2016 and didn't have that great of luck with it. It's not worth wasting that much NOS or CO2. There is a YouTube video of the truck at the line with smoke billowing out of the front of it. That smoke was CO2 I was spraying onto the intercooler through a spray bar

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Hey Mark just curious but do you think running less boost would lower egt? On the intake side compressing the air to that boost level is creating 500° of extra heat. On the exhaust side since drive pressure is higher than boost would you also be seeing an added 500° or more of heat just from having that much pressure or am I totally off in my thinking?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Hey Mark just curious but do you think running less boost would lower egt? On the intake side compressing the air to that boost level is creating 500° of extra heat. On the exhaust side since drive pressure is higher than boost would you also be seeing an added 500° or more of heat just from having that much pressure or am I totally off in my thinking?

You would be correct if we weren't running an intercooler! The intercooler is killing the Intake air charge temps but only giving up a couple lbs of boost(1psi/100* drop is pretty standard so we are giving up around 5psi to get that intake temp back down close to ambient) and on Diesels you have to have the boost to make the power we are making. We are also running a wastegate setup to help manage the drive pressure but there is a point were it will also drop boost with dropping the drive because you are slowing the turbo down when you dump the drive pressure. As long as we are under the 1.5:1 drive to boost ratio we are more than good with it. The nitrous will only get you so far in that aspect also. Our issue is with the rpms that we are turning and being as efficient as possible at those rpms in reference to our limiters. We would be more efficient at a slow rpm but that will make a shit ton more torque and we are already well past what I consider safe levels on a stock filled block so that is why we want to spin it faster or as fast as it wants to spin and be productive at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Oil temp data is also very interesting to say the least! The oil temp was 119* before we did the burnout and after the pass and everything it never went over 177* which is pretty awesome considering the setup and not running an oil cooler on it. This means we aren't being that hard on it in reference to the load on the bearings and everything that the oil is used under load as a bearing so to speak. I know White lightning would see 230* oil temps with the triples anytime I made a hard pass on it!