Brake pedal feel after replace & flush

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I just got done replacing all four rotors, calipers, pads and all rubber lines. The rears were probably below 50% pad surface actually contacting the rotor, the front left appeared as if the inner pad wasn't really contacting the rotor and the right was also suffering from reduced pad contact (Why is it these brakes do that?). Afterwards, I flushed the heck out of all of the lines, using a combination of vacuum bleeding and 'old school' bleeding, with 'old school' being the last bleeding. With that, even when I started the bleeding, there were no air bubbles in the fluid leaving the bleeder. So I'm reasonably certain there is no air in the lines, and it's probably at least 98% fresh new fluid.

It's been so long since the truck had factory new brakes, I don't remember what the pedal should feel like, but it definitely doesn't feel anything like my CTS or my wife's Malibu, but if I brake hard, it has no trouble kicking the ABS in on dry pavement. I'm not really sure how to describe the feel, other than it's not rock hard like our other vehicles.

Probably two or so years ago, I replaced the hydroboost with a reman (pretty sure it was before the 2011 unit was found to work on the GMT800's), and now all the calipers have been replaced, so the only original hydraulic components are the master cylinder and the steel lines. I think the hydroboost is fine as when I hit the brake quickly, it doesn't thump back.

Are the brakes on these trucks supposed to have a 'less firm' feel than those of vacuum assist boosted brakes, or is there something else I should be looking at?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Find someone with a TECH-II or equivalent and cycle the ABS controller several times. That was the last maintenance I did after replacing the soft lines and bleeding several times on my truck, what a world of difference in how the brake pedal felt....

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well that didn't quite go according to plan. Blew out a steel line under the cab part way through the ABS bleed :mad:... Better to have that happen in the driveway than on the road during a panic stop though.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Does anyone have a part number for a 2011 master cylinder that will work on a 2004 HydroBoost? I intend to upgrade to a 2011 Hydroboost at some point, but while I'm replacing virtually everything else, I'm contemplating replacing the master cylinder too.

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
Well that didn't quite go according to plan. Blew out a steel line under the cab part way through the ABS bleed :mad:... Better to have that happen in the driveway than on the road during a panic stop though.

Having lost 2 steel lines while trying to stop from 60+ I can tell you it's a lot of fun. :spit:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona