Bought a Sierra as Donortruck - now he stay

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Nothing wrong with the quality of the Kryptonite parts, if that's what you're getting at
thanks - i know in germany which brand is good and which is just rubbish. The US-Market is new for me. We have a saying - if you buy cheap quality, you buy twice. And as the job is not easy at all we really dont want it do twice.

Reactions: PureHybrid

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Do you have a photo? The Tires must be covered here from the Fenders or using fenderflares if the tire is to wide. Cutting on bumper or trimming on the cab should be allow here as this involve not the stability or strength of frame and suspension. Below are the rim size which should gave no problem for roadregistration in germany if they are original GMC rims or aftermarket rims with a loadindex (how much weight a rim can bear) Unfortunately a lot of aftermarket rims have no loadindex.

I am running 2005-ish (forget the exact year) Hummer H2 rims, so they are factory GM. Tires are BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 315/70R17.

You can see the bottom of the front blue plastic on the bumper has been trimmed to clear the tires when turning. Not pictured is the cab seam which just gets folded flat behind the tire to clear when turning. That's all the trimming that's needed for this combo.

Rear tires are easily inside the factory fender flares. Front tires are a little iffy, depending on how your law is written. But you could put on slightly larger aftermarket flares without it looking weird if you had to.

Hope this helps!
302cad1268ffa0624f86c0ef579ddf21.jpg
b1c513d5a95f058d934ebc79200d5dc5.jpg
9fa6608705a72c21122e5a6af7a89df6.jpg
fff9f4fa71152329cea2a6d8bacceb1d.jpg

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phoenix-LH

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
I am running 2005-ish (forget the exact year) Hummer H2 rims, so they are factory GM. Tires are BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 315/70R17.

You can see the bottom of the front blue plastic on the bumper has been trimmed to clear the tires when turning. Not pictured is the cab seam which just gets folded flat behind the tire to clear when turning. That's all the trimming that's needed for this combo.

Rear tires are easily inside the factory fender flares. Front tires are a little iffy, depending on how your law is written. But you could put on slightly larger aftermarket flares without it looking weird if you had to.

Hope this helps!
302cad1268ffa0624f86c0ef579ddf21.jpg
b1c513d5a95f058d934ebc79200d5dc5.jpg
9fa6608705a72c21122e5a6af7a89df6.jpg
fff9f4fa71152329cea2a6d8bacceb1d.jpg

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk
Thank you very much, it is really helpful. The rear would not be a problem. Front will not pass. We need to install bigger fenderflares to pass or smaller tires. I guess your rims have the best possible offset to bring the tire as much as possible under the fender 🤔

Nice truck, perfect color

Reactions: DAVe3283

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Thank you very much, it is really helpful. The rear would not be a problem. Front will not pass. We need to install bigger fenderflares to pass or smaller tires. I guess your rims have the best possible offset to bring the tire as much as possible under the fender 🤔

Nice truck, perfect color
Thanks, not a lot of trucks in this color (Arrival Blue) out there.

The offset is about perfect to tuck in as much as possible but still allow full steering. This wheel/tire combination is the original equipment on the Hummer H2, so it works very well. But the Hummer H2 has a different front fender setup than the GMC, so it does stick out a little on the GMC.

You should be able to go to narrower tires on the same rims to get the clearance, or more backspacing with aftermarket rims. If we had the same rules here I would personally go with larger fender flares and keep this wheel/tire combination.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Thanks, not a lot of trucks in this color (Arrival Blue) out there.

The offset is about perfect to tuck in as much as possible but still allow full steering. This wheel/tire combination is the original equipment on the Hummer H2, so it works very well. But the Hummer H2 has a different front fender setup than the GMC, so it does stick out a little on the GMC.

You should be able to go to narrower tires on the same rims to get the clearance, or more backspacing with aftermarket rims. If we had the same rules here I would personally go with larger fender flares and keep this wheel/tire
I had check the price of our fenderflares before removing about a possible cracking. Sit on the truck 15 years... 800 Euro 🙈 If i find nice bigger one is it of course an option. How much are they outside in front?
Is there anywhere a list of GM rims available?

About the color we want choose a standard ral color without shine as it is usual on worktrucks. But you blue is really nice and let me think twice with the result of a new family discussion 😅

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The fender flares have plastic clips along the bottom edge and double sided tape holding them on the top sides. As long as you insert something thin along the seam to brake the tape they come off easy.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
The fender flares have plastic clips along the bottom edge and double sided tape holding them on the top sides. As long as you insert something thin along the seam to brake the tape they come off easy.
Yes we got them off without any cracking. Our Volvos have also such fendercovers, i would not say this are flares. To thin but the same double sides tapes and clips.
Also the plastic covers on the rear bumpers are expensive. Both are in a size where shipping costs are in an acceptable range. You have very nice aftermarket bumpers but shipping is of size and weight really expensive. ☹️ Before we spent money on showparts will be first done all technical exchanges.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I have the same wheels as Dave on my truck right now, but with a 285/70/17 tire. I have not trimmed the rear side like he did, and they will rub the fender liner. I admit my torsion bars are pretty low. I will try to get a picture for you to compare

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Thanks a lot - this is really helpful.
This size will still give a discussion with the engineer. Law said the fender must cover the tire tread (to prevent dirt and stones to following vehicles). I think the tire tread is covered in that size. Can you confirm it?
Beside this the is there no original size of 8,5Jx17 for the Sierra - max is 7,5Jx17 - this size is allow to drive without any extra test for roadlicence if it is an original GM RIM. So i need to talk with the engineer if they accept the 8,5Jx17 rim with bigger tires. Usually it is dependent if the wheel can move and spin free and the tires are covered from the fender.
If we want use bigger rims is this the easiest way to sucess nevertheless i need to have an ok for it.
But i dont need a strenghten test of the rims like aftermarket rims. The Hummer is the same Vehicle category here like the Fullsize-Pickups

And i found them in Germany
Hummer H2 Rims

s-l64sk.jpg
Its a vendor and he want 1698 Euro and 29,90 Euro for Shipping for a 4er Set
The rims need a refurbishment.
Much money for that but this was the only one offer here just for now. Can change every day
I will observe the market for this.
Hummer and Fullsizepickups are not much present in Germany. Both are expensive vehicles

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I suppose it depends on how picky they are with tire coverage. It's covered at the top, but with the curved body lines it won't be at the rear of the tires where stones are likely to be ejected. But then again, OE wheels and tires are going to be exposed there as well

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
I suppose it depends on how picky they are with tire coverage. It's covered at the top, but with the curved body lines it won't be at the rear of the tires where stones are likely to be ejected. But then again, OE wheels and tires are going to be exposed there as well
thats correct it is on the top where they have their eyes on. If you show a truck which is technically complete correct (wheels work free without rubbing) is a tight coverage more likely to be tolerated. But if you go there and they test by a ride that the wheels rub if the trucksprings be loaded than you have a problem. They make also test-rides with a lot of procedures to figure out if your tuning is safe or not.
As always, the safest way is to talk to the engineer beforehand. At the very least, OE rims should have no problem with the strength certificate, especially as the rims are from the same vehicle class

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I personally would use a set of 17s from the 2007-2009 trucks, either GMC or Chevy, with 265/70R17 tires. That'll give you the little bit larger size youre looking for, and keep everything under the fender.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
I had done some request in several rims/wheels shop in Germany which also advertise that they have rims for US pickups.
Usually they are without any certification and not allow to use on public roads.
My request for rims only with a strengthen certification is not really sucessful.
I have finally received one feedback for a rim that has a strength certificate for the corresponding axle load. But that doesn't mean that I will automatically get road approval. It is still up to the engineer to check whether all other requirements are met in accordance with the law.
I don't believe that I can actually drive this rim with the tires without a lift. It might also be necessary to use bigger fenderflares.
RID R05 9×18 ET10 8×165,1
RID-R05-mb-9x18-BF-KO2-35x125x18-1.jpg
Not what we want

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
I personally would use a set of 17s from the 2007-2009 trucks, either GMC or Chevy, with 265/70R17 tires. That'll give you the little bit larger size youre looking for, and keep everything under the fender.
Thats a good idea like other also advice and the best option we have
Only difficult to find original rims from GMC or Chevy with 8 Lug
Actually we have 265/70R16 and they will be covered from the fenders

20230930_095044z.jpg

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
The idea of the standard wheel from the Hummer 2 just won't let me go
Since there's nothing going on here in Germany with used and new spare parts, I had a look again across the pond to see what's on offer in the USA.
Definitely much more choice - ok not a challange by just one offer here.
refurbished Hummer H2 Rims is this a serious offer and did they also check on Unbalance and lateral runout if they offer refurbishment? In Germany this mean they are tested, cleaned, painted or polished like new. It seems this shop does not support international shipping. I used an export service in the past on shops where i needed parts where nowhere else was available. 896 Dollar - you can add usually 45% for shipping and taxes on this costs, thats still under 1400 Euro. More attractive than the used rims in Germany
There is a wide range between the prices - As everywhere else, supply and demand are likely to determine the price also in the USA
How much is a good price for a good used or refurbished Rim. If i take a look on the used rims without any refurbishment seems the price on that offer above very good or something is "wrong" with the rims

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
That is average refurbishment price in USA. The problem in USA is, brand new aftermarket wheel is usually cheaper than refurbishment of OEM wheel. Also The wheels are from a US vehicle so there is plenty of cores available here. We have many refurbishment companies all over.

Typically they use cores with minor defects, like scratches or slight bend on lip. No heavy corrosion or major structural damage is accepted. They check the runout of wheel and straighten as needed, usually strip the finish with blast process, sand down and repair any scratches or chips, prep and apply base coat color either powder coat or sometimes paint. If there is a machined finished, they cut the finish on wheel machine. Then they clean and usually apply a baked on clear coat. If the wheel has a Chrome finish it usually cost about $50 -$75 more per wheel depending on design.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Really good to know that this is a average refurbishment price. Thanks for this info
Here it is uncommon as it is very expensive, so we have only less shops who will do this - the most try to repair themselves.
I had some rare Volvo OE rims on my 945 in 2004 - i bought them new
945 GL.jpg
later our Son (Car and Truck engineer) drove the Volvo - he painted them black
they come out very good - what you see is dirt and dust on surface but not in the paint.
We missed just a water-cleaning before taken that picture...
20160412_190853zu.jpg
Unfortunately this Car gone 2019 as we couldnt achieve anymore spareparts in time (daily driver). We couldnt wait 4-6 weeks on parts as our volvo dealer try to find them all around in Europe/Sweden. It was the best Car we ever had.

The Alu-Rims of my actually car Volvo C30 needed a refurbishment. Preowner was not very carefully... No time to do ourself just now and by a shop is it not worth the money

20201116_093121.jpg

You said chrome is more expensive - thats good as i hate chrome 🤣
Of this reason the chrome from the Sierra on the bumpers is sandblasted
The shop asked twice if we want this as the chrome shown still very good after 15 years

Reactions: 1FastBrick

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
The correct leafspring bushings arrived and now he is back on his rear wheels 🥳
20240113_164715.jpg
First it was necessary to remove to outershells
20240113_122321.jpg
Ready to go back on the frame20240113_124009.jpg
The Frontaxle is planned for spring of the costs about 3000 Dollar if we done a complete rebuild. So we need to spare some money before we will order. I will not touch our reserve for the truck.20240113_140136.jpg

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hope you lubed the heck out of those urethane bushings on install. They will squeak if you didnt.