Info: bored at work

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
Ive thought about the different intake manifolds that are out there for the duramaxs because just about anything has to be better than the stock design in a performance application, but my question is if you wanted to make an intake out of alum how thick of material would you need to hold the boost that some of these trucks make??

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
i would think you could make it as thin as the boost tubes? probably would want the sealing surface that bolts to the heads around 3/16. just my thoughts never built one.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
If it was round I would agree. If there’s corners it’ll need to be thicker. Honestly I don’t think the intake is restrictive. Now the exhaust side needs a lot of work

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Why don't gas outfits settle for well-ported clam shell intakes then? Are they pushing that much more CFM through their air pumps (engines) compared to us/diesels that they reap the benefits of those intakes like the Holley EFI one for the LS engines or that rad one from NRE for their big power builds? Why don't we see more intakes for the V8 diesels that resemble those style of gasser intakes?

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
Why don't gas outfits settle for well-ported clam shell intakes then? Are they pushing that much more CFM through their air pumps (engines) compared to us/diesels that they reap the benefits of those intakes like the Holley EFI one for the LS engines or that rad one from NRE for their big power builds? Why don't we see more intakes for the V8 diesels that resemble those style of gasser intakes?

kind of my thought I know in serious race engines they mess with runner length/volume/velocity
not knocking anything that is out there but thinking out loud I like to fabricate and have some background in race engines and have thought about building something for my s10 repower

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

I don’t think it’s as important on a boosted application, especially those like race Diesel engines pushing over 100psi of boost. Could we benefit from a runner style but I don’t think the gains are massive.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

Because they don’t fit with a turbo and cp3 in the valley. Banks has a decent option. When you’re making 1500hp I would consider changing the intake if you had the room and enjoy your 15hp gain. Mark went from stock heads to wagler heads IIRC and picked up something like 80hp at the tires. The clamshells are not a limitation unless you spend 8k on heads