Boost valve question

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
Why do it twice? Get a concrete plan together for what you really want to do, whether its 500hp or 1000, then save your money and wait til its time. Make sure you talk to your trans builder beforehand about your goals so the build can match your plans.

BTW, a normal trans build (like most of us have) with converter shouldnt be over $6000. Those billet parts you list do add to the price, though.
I dont mine talking it out twice. I'll be doing the work myself, just though if I could start with spending 3k to have abit more fun with tell I'm ready to spend the other 7k. When I talked with Mike last and he explained what everything I would need for 1000hp, i priced it out. If I were to build it myself (I have re build 3 now, all are still running great) it priced and shipped ( I'm in ottawa CA) it was around 10k. Around 8k if anyone was going to build and ship to me with me shipping back mine for a core.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
I dont mine talking it out twice. I'll be doing the work myself, just though if I could start with spending 3k to have abit more fun with tell I'm ready to spend the other 7k. When I talked with Mike last and he explained what everything I would need for 1000hp, i priced it out. If I were to build it myself (I have re build 3 now, all are still running great) it priced and shipped ( I'm in ottawa CA) it was around 10k. Around 8k if anyone was going to build and ship to me with me shipping back mine for a core.

Why do it twice? Get a concrete plan together for what you really want to do, whether its 500hp or 1000, then save your money and wait til its time. Make sure you talk to your trans builder beforehand about your goals so the build can match your plans.

BTW, a normal trans build (like most of us have) with converter shouldnt be over $6000. Those billet parts you list do add to the price, though.
Maybe pm me, I feel like we are getting off topic in this thread

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009

I know you want 1000+hp Dmax. Have you ever drove or rode in a 500-600whp dmax?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Could always go the “juice grips” route for more boost

I think you will need to understand that when you start pushing the hp up and abusing/using that power constantly, you will be in that transmission more times than not.

I’d start with a good trans build for 600+ hp. That’s going to take care of you through the next couple years. By time you are ready to step up the power, you will most likely need a converter change and the trans could use the upgrades in billet parts. If the rest of the clutches and clearances are still good or better clutches have come out, you can then upgrade the trans to fit your needs. Even if you go full all out build, imho the trans needs to come back out when the 1000hp goes in as it’s going to take more turbo/s that need higher stall and you will need to see the health of the trans.

So which ever route you go, it can work for you. Just understand you will have 20k or more in engine, turbos, fueling to get 1000hp reliably. The trans is cheap in retrospect

Reactions: DAVe3283

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
I know you want 1000+hp Dmax. Have you ever drove or rode in a 500-600whp dmax?
Yes I have drove a 704whp with twins. And dont get me wrong it was a great ride, I would have alot of fun with a truck like that. But I've always wanted to break the 1000 mark. And if I could get 500 out of the truck right now and not spend money on a trans twice I would rather go that route.

What does the normal trans build you mentioned consist of? Cause when talking to Mike years ago, I believe he mentioned that the 5sp allis input and output cant take much more then 500hp?

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
Could always go the “juice grips” route for more boost

I think you will need to understand that when you start pushing the hp up and abusing/using that power constantly, you will be in that transmission more times than not.

I’d start with a good trans build for 600+ hp. That’s going to take care of you through the next couple years. By time you are ready to step up the power, you will most likely need a converter change and the trans could use the upgrades in billet parts. If the rest of the clutches and clearances are still good or better clutches have come out, you can then upgrade the trans to fit your needs. Even if you go full all out build, imho the trans needs to come back out when the 1000hp goes in as it’s going to take more turbo/s that need higher stall and you will need to see the health of the trans.

So which ever route you go, it can work for you. Just understand you will have 20k or more in engine, turbos, fueling to get 1000hp reliably. The trans is cheap in retrospect
Okay thanks for the info. I do understand it's going to take alot more money get to that 1000 mark, but I do feel that the trans is the first big step on heading in that direction

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Input and output is a crap shoot if they hold. Some hold 1000hp without issue, some won’t take 500hp. The hardening of the shafts had horrible quality control. Most good trans places will recommend shafts over 600hp. Depending on if you are doing the work or someone else, you can decide if you wanna see if they hold. If a shop is doing it, go with their recommendation. Better shafts and p2/c2 billet hub cover the bases for bad tuning too (best they can anyhow, you can still snap them on terrible tuning) something the builder has no control over

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
Input and output is a crap shoot if they hold. Some hold 1000hp without issue, some won’t take 500hp. The hardening of the shafts had horrible quality control. Most good trans places will recommend shafts over 600hp. Depending on if you are doing the work or someone else, you can decide if you wanna see if they hold. If a shop is doing it, go with their recommendation. Better shafts and p2/c2 billet hub cover the bases for bad tuning too (best they can anyhow, you can still snap them on terrible tuning) something the builder has no control over
Okay so even going to the billet shafts there's no guarantee that they will hold up

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
I am kind of confused... You have rebuilt 3 Allison transmissions but don't understand how a boost valve works?

In my opinion you can either send it to Mike L. and know that the transmission is built right and if you actually decide you want to hit that 1K HP mark your hard parts should still be good and just need a converter re-stall. Or I like to do things a lot myself and love learning in the process so I will be building my own transmission but I do realize that it potentially will never hold up to the same power that Mike L. transmissions do since he has a ton of knowledge and experience and it could actually end up costing me more in the long run by having to rebuild it 3 times due to me not installing parts correctly. But it is a challenge for me and I enjoy it.

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
Is there a thread I can read about building to 600hp, or what would you guys recommend for parts and where to start. I'll build up to 600 now then plan for more in a few years

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Buy Evans kit. You won't need hard parts at 600HP. After a few years you will need a refresh with new clutches and billet parts for 1K power with a restall converter.

Reactions: RMJ_LB7

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
I am kind of confused... You have rebuilt 3 Allison transmissions but don't understand how a boost valve works?

In my opinion you can either send it to Mike L. and know that the transmission is built right and if you actually decide you want to hit that 1K HP mark your hard parts should still be good and just need a converter re-stall. Or I like to do things a lot myself and love learning in the process so I will be building my own transmission but I do realize that it potentially will never hold up to the same power that Mike L. transmissions do since he has a ton of knowledge and experience and it could actually end up costing me more in the long run by having to rebuild it 3 times due to me not installing parts correctly. But it is a challenge for me and I enjoy it.
It's not that I didnt understand how they worked. It was that the original post I taged, this guy just bought this truck had some problems and was looking to fix them then make it safe to drive with some small add ons( tunes, intake etc.) Someone listed boost valve but no talk about built trans. It didnt make so that's why I asked the question.

Reactions: RMJ_LB7

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
Buy Evans kit. You won't need hard parts at 600HP. After a few years you will need a refresh with new clutches and billet parts for 1K power with a restall converter.
Okay I'll look up the kit and come back if I have questions. Thanks for the help

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
It's not that I didnt understand how they worked. It was that the original post I taged, this guy just bought this truck had some problems and was looking to fix them then make it safe to drive with some small add ons( tunes, intake etc.) Someone listed boost valve but no talk about built trans. It didnt make so that's why I asked the question.

Ahhhh ok makes sense. Also look into Goerend kit and you can also give them a call super knowledgeable people.

dmaxpilon

Sep 21, 2018
Ahhhh ok makes sense. Also look into Goerend kit and you can also give them a call super knowledgeable people.
Will do. I am from ottawa CA. What's it going to be like getting parts with everything that's going on right now, or does anyone know if suppliers in canada?