Blown Head Gasket

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
I dont drive my truck very often (maybe 3-4K a year) but I have been having issues the last several times I have driven it. I have experienced inconsistency in the temp gauge fluctuating to extremes, or not heating up at all, rough idle when warm, slight knocking and coolent spewing out of reservoir. Please note, I did not experience any white smoke at start up, coolent in oil, fuel in oil or tough starts. However, I did take a balance test on the injectors and discovered they were in need of replacing even though I had them installed 30K ago.

I took it into the dealership to have them replace the thermostats and an overall check. Received a call stating that the truck was holding temp but "heated up very fast" and also a PO308 Misfire #8 code, which lead to a compression test. Test came back with high compression in #8 suggesting a failing head gasket. Now they are testing to find out if it is the head or the block and i have also asked them to perform a balance rate test to confirm my scanning tool works correctly.

I love this truck really dont want to get rid of it. I'm hoping for some helpful responses from the members of this forum. I have the following questions:

1) This same dealership replaced all my injectors and performed the head rebuild just 30K miles ago (5 yrs). I'm afraid to trust them again, I know this is going to be painfully expensive as it was the last go round.

2) Any suggestions on how to get the dealership to work with me on the cost? I really went the extra mile on the last time to prevent another headgasket issue ( new heads, HD heasd gasket, new injector cups, sealed the cups beyond the "O" gaskets). I know that standard warranty is 12 month or 12K, but this is something that should last 10 times that amount of time. I feel that I have a legitimate complaint, just not sure how or who to present it to.

3) How much labor am I saving by replacing the injectors while the head work is being completed? The injectors are just out of spec but I think I should bite the bullet and purchase new. Although, I don't want to install yet a 3rd set of dealership injectors, they have been proven to be unreliable.

4) Any suggestions of a good , reliable Diesel Garage that is familiar with the LB7 motor in the Seattle area?

o4dirtymax

Dec 17, 2012
CA
How hard do you run the truck in the 3-4k you actually put on it?

I'd be up in arms with the dealer about it; but I'd also be very reluctant to have any more work done by them, so you're kind of in a hard place.

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
I dont run it that hard at all. The 3-4K I put on it is during the winter as my daily driver sits in the garage. Actually don't even run the tune any more. If the dealership wont help then I will take to another place. Should I replace both or just the one? Could I perform a compression test on the other cylinders to rule out the other head gasket going? Also, do you think the blown head gasket is affecting the balance rates? It just so happens that the one injector that is way out of spec is the same cyclinder that has a mis fire.

o4dirtymax

Dec 17, 2012
CA
If it were mine, I would definitely do both. I would also do head studs. You say you only put a couple k on the truck a year, so you will ultimately have to decide what you want to do. For me, I'd rather spend the extra money when it's torn down, then have to do it again.

What were your balance rates?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
how does high compression relate to a blown HG???? did they test any other cylinders for compression?

You can do the check your coolant overflow bottle for CO which tells you your head gasket is blown. it could just be a lifted or leaking injector cup....

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
Dirty,

I agree with you as I know that is what's best. I'm just fired up because I did both of them last time....took the additional precautions....and here I am again looking at a 6K bill. Below are my balance rates, according to a diesel tech, the blown head gasket could be throwing these off......

Trans in drive:

Engine Temp: 188.6
MAF App: 38.Gm
Baromic: 101Kp
T-Boost: 14.6 PSI
Fuel Temp: 132.8
Fuel Des: 4930 PSI
Inj #1: 5.1
Inj #2: 5.3
Inj #3: 5.6
Inj #4: 5.6
Inj #5: 5.8
Inj #6: 5.8
Inj #7: 6.2
Inj #8: 9.7

At idle

Inj #1: 3.7
Inj #2: 4.0
Inj #3: 4.4
Inj #4: 4.4
Inj #5: 4.5
Inj #6: 4.4
Inj #7: 4.6
Inj #8: 7.2

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I would do another compression test on cylinder 8. Not saying anyone's wrong, but the dealership could have messed up. It would make a lot of sense if it was low compression but if it's holding compression it shouldn't be over fueling the injector like that. That code means that cylinder 8 is taking more fuel to keep at the same speed as the other cylinders.

P0308 Fault Cylinder H-Misfire Detected (CYL8)

It means that Cylinder 8 is requiring more fuel than other cylinders to keep crankshaft speed constant.

Also check your injector wiring harness.

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
Kappa,

You would think I would know the answer to that question since this will be my second go round, but it's the feedback from the dealership. They also perfomed another test where they took the T-sat housing off to confirm which cylinder it was leaking into.....turned our #8. Also, not sure if this has any relevance, but since I have had the t-stats replaced, coolent has stopped from coming out of the reservoir.

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
CkNight,

Could this be due to a "popped" injector cup? Also, what is your opinion on a blown HG affecting the balance rates. The highest rate is the same cylinder that has the misfire code. Coinicdence?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
those numbers dont look right at all... and as mentioned a blown headgasket is low on compression not high. I'd double check the compression test, and Id' also test another cylinder.

I assume what they did with the thermostat is just pull the stat out, put air to each cylinder and see when bubbles start coming out of the coolant.

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definetly have them perform another compression test once the tech is back from vacation. I appologize for my ignorance, but if they did the air test and bubbles showed up from that cylinder, wouldnt that suggest a blown HG or are there different variables of what it could be?

o4dirtymax

Dec 17, 2012
CA
I would think it was an injector/cup issue, but those balance rate numbers seem incorrect. I had figured in your original post that you meant cylinder 8 tested low compression, if it was indeed high, I do not see how that would indicate a blown HG.

I would recommend getting your truck away from the stealership and have a reputable diesel shop up there get you the balance rates, and do another compression test. Hopefully a Washington member will chime in here and can recommend someone.

Was the truck "holding temp but "heated up very fast"" before you took it to them to do thermostats? Are you sure they put the right thermostats in...?

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
Kappa,

Thanks again for the insight. I will cross my fingers that it is the slipped injector cup. When I replaced the heads last time I bought all new injector cups and they were to loctite them into place.....it wouldnt surprise me if this did not happen.....the Tech that perfomed the work is no longer at the dealership.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
before you do take any thing apart pull all the glowplugs let it sit with pressure in the cooling system for awhile and crank it over and see if you get any fluid out of the glow plug hole but disable injection by pulling a fuse. i can't remember which one but someone will know. not a bad idea. you might figure out which one.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Here is a thread with a similar code that your truck threw.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...3830-got-injector-install-done-now-p0308.html

This also can be related to lifting an injector cup. Any noticeable smoke coming out of the engine compartment? Also I agree to try a different shop. Or do the compression test yourself, it's pretty straight forward, and easier if the dealership already broke the seal (so to speak) of the glow plugs. Rather than have the glow plugs corroded to the block they are easier to remove

Diddy

May 13, 2008
Washington Go Zags....
Cknight,

Thank you for the reference thread and comment. It does represent what I am experiencing minus the coolent out of the reservoir. I do beleive that is also a characteristic of a slipped injector sleeve. When the tech returns I will discuss this with him. Another thing i noticed is that my radiator hoses were not "hard" after sitting over night. Once a second compression test is conducted, what do you suggest. Pull the valve cover off and take a peek?