Block heater (LB7) shorted to ground

johnm

Apr 8, 2008
Rochester, NY
Anybody run into this? I found out about it because the GFCI kept tripping on me. With the cord unplugged from the block heater, I've got no resistance, it's completely open (as it should be). If it's plugged into the block heater, I've got 8-9 ohm's resistance. Also, if I use a "cheater" plug (the one without a ground lug) the GFCI, obviously, doesn't trip and I get a nice tingling feeling if I touch the bumper and the snow pile on the driveway. The cord end of the connection at the block heater looks clean but the block heater seems to have some green corrosion, at least, on the outside of the casting (I can't get my head up close enough to see inside).

So, has anybody had their block heater go like this? Anybody know what a replacement heater costs (parts only)?

Thanks,

johnm
2002 Silverado, D/A, 4x4, CC

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I had mine ground itself when I plugged it in. Sparks and shit, wasn't cool. The truck was still covered so I took it in. They replaced the block heater and the chord at no charge. I haven't plugged it in since.

I would try and clean the plug on the heater. I know it's a PITA but I think that's why mine grounded out. I would replace the chord. I thought about sealing the plug to the block heater with some type of sealent.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think they are about $50 or $60 but don't quote me. I pulled the one out of my LBZ short block and it came out pretty easy but I have heard they can be a nightmare to change.