Biodiesel processor pics

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Here's some pics of my 40 gallon processor! Got the first batch in process, hopefully all goes well and I'll be filling my truck up tonight!

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331404041.462949.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331404041.462949.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 278

llybyppe

May 11, 2009
Do you have to do anything to the fuel system to run bio??? Clean setup by the way

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Um did you used to make moon shine? :D Very nice set up ive always wanted to do thisplease keep up informed would be a great diy section :thumb:

dieseldan723

Still learning.....
Jun 16, 2010
I've thought about making it for a very long time. I don't know where I would get the used oil though.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I bought the kit from allamericanbiodiesel.com. Very reasonable at $800. My only complaint is the titration sheet he gave with the kit stops at 3.5 and I'm starting with old oil that titrated at around 5.5. But I found the formula online so not a big deal. And I lucked out with the oil, a local restaurant owner was keeping his oil to do his own bio (he had a heated tank in an old 12valve he'd just put the wvo straight into) but stopped because he got a new powerstroke that couldn't use his system. He's got about 400 gallons of wvo saved up and a restaurant that produces around 40 gallons a week. Hes giving it to me for free with the agreement that out of every batch I make I give him back 10 gallons of good biodiesel.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Um did you used to make moon shine? :D Very nice set up ive always wanted to do thisplease keep up informed would be a great diy section :thumb:

I wish, that's probably more profitable :D

And I'm not real familiar with drywashing. I know it was an option on my system but it cost a few hundred more dollars. I think it's some kind of water absorbing material the bio passes through to catch lingering water and glycerine. My system uses a water mist to do the same thing, it just takes a few more hours to do

paytonlb7

Owner at Torq Industries
Jul 16, 2010
Idaho
www.torq-industries.com
How does biodiesel compare to diesel out of the pump? As far as performance and fuel mileage. I have read it is cleaner an lubricates more but I'm not able to find anything as far as drivability. Thanks!

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
First batch was a flop, I titrated it wrong. Added way to much lye, it was a mess. Trying it again tonight, hopefully I get it right this time. As far as drivability and milage it seems like I read somewhere you take a 10% horsepower loss when compared to pump diesel and lose 1-2 mpg with it. Mainly because bio has a higher flash point than Dino diesel

dieseldan723

Still learning.....
Jun 16, 2010
I have run B100, now B99 in my 2003 with no issues othere than the french fry smell when I get out of it. I'm not too concerned about getting peak performance or mileage though.

The only think you will want to make sure to keep an eye on is your fuel filter the first tank full! :D

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
Pvc fittings? I looked into a homebrew setup for quite some time and I was always told to stay away from pvc for fittings because the heat will make them soft and may leak later on so most switch to brass fittings. Biofuel is supposed to have a high lubricity compared to ULSD but you have to change your fuel filter within the first few tanks, because it cleans your whole fuel system by removing all the crud in the fuel lines.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Pvc fittings? I looked into a homebrew setup for quite some time and I was always told to stay away from pvc for fittings because the heat will make them soft and may leak later on so most switch to brass fittings. Biofuel is supposed to have a high lubricity compared to ULSD but you have to change your fuel filter within the first few tanks, because it cleans your whole fuel system by removing all the crud in the fuel lines.

Yeah I was a little concerned about the PVC fittings and pipe too but this system doenst get real hot. The heater it uses only heats to a max of 130*. And I usually unplug it at around 115* or so. So I should be fine, and definitely going to watch the fuel filters. I've got a spare airdog and engine filter on standby.

I did not realize how tricky the titration was, you have got to be extremely accurate for that to work properly! I had 2 failed attempts before I got a good batch. This batch is on its last wash cycle then it's going in the tank! Woooo :woot: