Question: Billings, montana

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
Ill be headed to billings montana in the beginning of October for a bit. Anyone live out that way that I could talk to about the area??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
Well. I am trying to see what I have to expect. Whats the cost of living? If someone made 60000 a year would it be a decent living for a family?
What's the weather like out there? Year round.
I'm a big snowmobiler. What's the riding like out there?
Is there a dragstrip anywhere?
Do you feel like you really are in the middle of nowhere?
How are the people?
I live in central illinois so I'm trying to see if I would like it.
Anyone on here live there?

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
Great town! I live about 130 miles away (Northern Wyo)

$60K is a good living for the area. Should be able to live comfortably on that. Housing up there isn't too terrible. Montana doesn't have sales tax, which is cool when shopping. But they do have a pretty decent state income tax IIRC.

There is a drag strip out past the airport a little ways. Its called Yellowstone Drag strip. Very nice facility.

Snowmobiling is awesome. You won't be too far away from some of the best riding in the country (IMO)

Weather is pretty wild. Incredibly hot summers (100*+ isn't out of the norm for mid July) and the winters can be flat out nasty. Bitter dry cold that bites deep.

You don't get the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. Billings is like 75K+ people I think? Pretty good size comparatively speaking to other towns in the area.

Last edited:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Nice town, great people, one of the best diesel shops in the country, (G&J) Brad, owner of Dirty Max. Lots of areas to ride snow machines, (yes I from Alaska we call them snow machines). Hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. Not sure of your status but some very fine cow girls there as well.:thumb:

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
Nice town, great people, one of the best diesel shops in the country, (G&J) Brad, owner of Dirty Max. Lots of areas to ride snow machines, (yes I from Alaska we call them snow machines). Hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. Not sure of your status but some very fine cow girls there as well.:thumb:

I'm thinking I may fit right in ;)

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
Possibly moving. I won't know for a few months. But wanted to put some feelers out there. :)

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Years ago, I lived in western Montana, 70mi south of Missoula. It was a small town called Darby, had about 180 residents, so, quite different than billings. Missoula was where the fun was, but there was another "bigger" small town nearby that was good for a beer a and burger and some pool. IMHO, Western Montana has better scenery and bigger mountains, being in the Rocky Mountain range, as others have said, it's hot in the summer, bitter cold in the winter, truly a four seasons type of climate. I liked it there, but I was a framer at the time, and there was not alot of work to be had, I wound up learning how to build log homes, peeled the logs by hand too, I really enjoyed that too, but again, there wasn't a whole lot of work. If a guy had a stable job, or a relocation due to a job, and knew they would be able to make a solid income, year round, it's an amazing place to be. Truly amazing. Eastern Montana is more rolling hills and prairie, but still really beautiful, I suggest you get on a plane and check it out for a weekend before you make your final decision....or if you are already committed, take the trip just to get an idea of what you're in for:D

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I live there for a couple months in 02' worked in a small town close by there on a construction job. not a bad place cold in the winter what are you looking to find out?

Dragonsfireloki

Nov 6, 2011
North Dakota
Billings is a pretty cool town, a lot of people have a lot of good to say about G&J diesel out there. I wouldn't mine moving there once i get my life sorted back out again. You are really close to anything and everything you would need in the area. State tax is rather high though.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I worked at the cenex refinery for awhile. It was a cool place. Especially going up on the "rims" as they call it and looking down on the town. I think it's legal to drive quads on the street too which is cool. If u go to the Texas Roadhouse see if a girl named mandi is still working there, fiery little red head!