Billet slide collar or one piece?

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I've got the front diff out to weld up for sled pulling. Should I go with Tony's billet slide collar or the H2 one piece one? I'll still street drive the truck some

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Welded front diff and solid axle are going to bind the font end. Slide collar for sure. If you weld the front diff, with a slide collar, your front driveshaft is going to turn all the time also, so you know

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I set mine up for a full time front end and it would bind up bad at times with a straight centerlink and would spit gear oil out at highway speeds of 80+ for extended times 2+ hours.

For a town truck or short highway trips it would be fine as long as the diff isn't welded.

Wish I would have seen the billet slide collar before I put mine back stock.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Stock horsepower, the actuator can get weak or the drive can get ahead of themselves and the slide collar doesn't kick in all the way and they split the slide collar and fork.

Mine broke at an idle in low range and I had been in 4x4 for several miles, found to be a weak actuator. Eliminating the collar and fork is just one less weak link to deal with, but they both have pros and cons.

dmaxerLLY

Aug 10, 2007
California
www.instagram.com
Stock horsepower, the actuator can get weak or the drive can get ahead of themselves and the slide collar doesn't kick in all the way and they split the slide collar and fork.

Mine broke at an idle in low range and I had been in 4x4 for several miles, found to be a weak actuator. Eliminating the collar and fork is just one less weak link to deal with, but they both have pros and cons.

So with the billet sleeve you still retain the actuator? Or is it held in the locked position all time?

dmaxerLLY

Aug 10, 2007
California
www.instagram.com
Cheaper than breaking 2-3 of the stock ones if you're actually using 4x4 a lot in rough conditions and DF the truck. The stock ones are 140 a pop at the dealer and are make of pot metal.

That makes sense, never priced a stock collar or heard of them breaking. Got an email the other the day about them on sale and then seen this thread. Will most likely get one in there when I do the ARB locker up front.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Welded front diff and solid axle are going to bind the font end. Slide collar for sure. If you weld the front diff, with a slide collar, your front driveshaft is going to turn all the time also, so you know

Exactly. Welded front diff and solid passenger side shaft would be a horrible combination. You need an ARB, or Eaton locker to use the solid shaft. If your intent on welding go with the billet collar for sure.