Big injector tuning

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
guys, its "plane", not "plain".

Wasnt the point of larger injectors to keep the fuel in the bowl using a smaller duration shot? So why would you want to fire them outside the bowl? You'd be just asking for trouble doing that, as Kappa said.

If/when someone using Jon's pistons opens their engine up to check things, I'd love to see pics of the spray pattern on the pistons, including the injector size and tuning parameters.

Yes Tom, the point is to keep the spray in the bowl but the dual plane in a stock piston configuration didn't seem to do so as 4 of the holes were spraying across the top of the piston an this seemed to make them smoky and hot without the great drivability your looking for. Regardless of the actual angles being the same or not the spray pattern is what matters and it was less than desirable. There are a lot of factors that got into it like combustion camber blue printing and tip placement. This is the main reason why I only liked running them in competition only motors because driveability is not a concern just power. Now with that being said I decided to try them in my motor after seeing the spray pattern of my stock nozzled 100%inj. I wanted to see if the bowl design changed how the fuel reacted and if the driveability and control was improved and it was. They seem to be working very well and I am making big power on small pulse. 1100us to run 11.90 and only 2000us to make 1151hp and this is on straight pump fuel no additives. When I take the heads off again I will take pictures for everyone of the pattern with these injectors. :thumb:

Here is the picture from my motor last time I had the heads off.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=1301

Last edited: