LBZ: Best Turbo For Me

yellowfindmax

Its Big and Black....
Feb 24, 2011
252/919, NC
I have been trying to figure out which route i want to go, dont have the cash to spend on twins right now. Im running 38" tires, gmax 6 trans and ML converter. all stock fueling. What turbo would u guys go with? I tow regularly anywhere from 5k-13k.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have been trying to figure out which route i want to go, dont have the cash to spend on twins right now. Im running 38" tires, gmax 6 trans and ML converter. all stock fueling. What turbo would u guys go with? I tow regularly anywhere from 5k-13k.

Whats your goals for HP ? Are you looking for more power or better EGT's or both ?

yellowfindmax

Its Big and Black....
Feb 24, 2011
252/919, NC
Both, towed about 10k monday and saw steady 1200-1300* egts. But i would also like to see some nice power on a race tune. i would be very happy with 600hp. Im running dustins 550 acid tune now. have had it for 2 years and just like anything u get used to it and it feels slow again lol.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Both, towed about 10k monday and saw steady 1200-1300* egts. But i would also like to see some nice power on a race tune. i would be very happy with 600hp. Im running dustins 550 acid tune now. have had it for 2 years and just like anything u get used to it and it feels slow again lol.

What RPM are you seeing those temps and what RPM do you spend the most time at when towing ?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
1700~1900 rpms.

Whats your budget ? There are several decent single turbo options that should work good for what your after , but cost become important on which ones are in your cost range because some get close to what twins run, if it wasn't for you sayings twins are out of your budget I would recommend a set of compounds setup for heavy towing .

yellowfindmax

Its Big and Black....
Feb 24, 2011
252/919, NC
i would like to spend 2000-2500 for turbo, pedestal, dp etc.
What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of a s300 and s400 turbos?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i would like to spend 2000-2500 for turbo, pedestal, dp etc.
What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of a s300 and s400 turbos?

I would def recommend staying in the S300 frame for your heavy towing needs , I personally would recommend a "Spitfire" made by HTT , its the best spooling S300 I have tested in your price range and the turbine wheel and stainless housing option on that turbo is going to be crucial to being able to drive the turbo hard in the lower rpm's and would be able to hit your power goals . Give me a call and we can go over price and details from our testing and also have a few other options we can go over . Trent 801-599-3922

Last edited:

yellowfindmax

Its Big and Black....
Feb 24, 2011
252/919, NC
I have heard great things about the s366 with a bmw or dbl bmw. Have any experience with those? just for my knowledge what is the difference between the s300 series and s400?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have heard great things about the s366 with a bmw or dbl bmw. Have any experience with those? just for my knowledge what is the difference between the s300 series and s400?

Yes we have used a few of the BATMO 66's and they would have been be on the list of recommendations, but the one I would recommend for your use is above your price range by the time you add the install kit , there are a few reason I didn't recommend a S400 1- most are over your price range once you add install kit 2- turbine wheels and compressor wheels generally used in S400's are fine for DD use but would likely run warmer than your stock turbo under 2k rpm's while towing the weights you tow . The main difference is the "frame size " of the turbo's and the availible wheel size's . There are a few good modded VVT's also you may want to consider , just depends on if you want to stay with the VVT or ditch it .

Last edited:

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Is there an exhaust brake in your tuning? And do you use it while towing? On my personal truck i would have ditched the vvt a long time ago if it wasnt for the exhaust brake while towing.

Tank222

Feb 17, 2010
Frederick,MD
With a modded vvt the turbo break does not work as good as stock, the trans does just as much by down shifting. I have the 68mm cheetah on the truck and it's a good turbo so far. I only tow my boat witch is right around 8-9k fully loaded and it's fine. I would really like to drive/ride in a truck with a 400 series charger and ditch the vvt stuff.

Tank222

Feb 17, 2010
Frederick,MD
I have a turbo break tune for this one as well, same tuner. I just think the stock turbo defiantly felt like it held the truck back more. Maybe it's just me though.

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
I have a turbo break tune for this one as well, same tuner. I just think the stock turbo defiantly felt like it held the truck back more. Maybe it's just me though.

I have read that a few places, so I doubt it's just you.

yellowfindmax

Its Big and Black....
Feb 24, 2011
252/919, NC
Trent if I run a billet s366, is that a externally gated turbo? If there is an option for it to be or not to be can u give me a little run down abou the advan/disadvantages? If i read correctly on another thread i saw where i can get one of these withe the install kit for around $2200-2300. And there is no need for a different y-bridge?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Trent if I run a billet s366, is that a externally gated turbo? If there is an option for it to be or not to be can u give me a little run down abou the advan/disadvantages? If i read correctly on another thread i saw where i can get one of these withe the install kit for around $2200-2300. And there is no need for a different y-bridge?

The cost is 2295.00 as of right now , and yes it we make it work with the stock bridge , its a non gated turbo , a gate isn't required at the power level your looking for , but it is an "option" but adds quite a bit of cost . We waste gate them all the time in our twin and triple kits but there are only advantages to having a gate if your pushing the turbo past its MAP , if your not its just there for "bling" :D , the turbo can be pushed to 725-750 with out gate IMOP .

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Trent do you have these kits in stock? I have a friend that plans to order one on a few weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Trent do you have these kits in stock? I have a friend that plans to order one on a few weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

We have the turbo's in stock , and stock the S300 install kit , but modify the install kit for the T-4 turbo upon order , they normally ship out with in a few days of the order .