Best tires for drag racing?

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Thats a pretty good deal shipped Tom!

I messed around alot least year with those runnng 275/60/17's thiough, i found aired up good they hook the best, i run 44 in the front and 35 in the rear and it hooked way better than with them aired down some, Just something to think about that i thouht id share!!Good luck, Caleb

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yeah...Darius was telling me to run at normal pressures. Less drag, seemed to be better traction.

First trip to the track this spring I plan on driving up on these tires to "break them in".

This is the time when I wish I lived somewhere warmer.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The best traction is when all four tires have the same "footprint", IMO. This means running less pressure in the back tires, since there is not as much weight.

With steel radials, you can't drop the pressure too far or you hurt the traction by "cupping". The steel belts are stiff, and when the pressure goes down, the center of contact patch starts to unload.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Yeah i always trll people to make sure they have the same "egg" on the bottom of the tire, especially on a 4x4, this should make the tires the same hight center of the axel to the ground keeping 4x4 bind to a minimum!

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
OK, maybe I should have been more specific....

I'll probably run 42-44 in the front and 34-38 in rear. I'll know for sure in a couple months.

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Tom, I forgot, when we were talking tires earlier this month...

Did you think (or anyone else think) the toyos would work for me with 2wd or should I plan on a set of drag tires?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You need drag tires. I read a post somewhere else here describing what 2wd'ers can do. Cant remember where it was, though.

Heck, taking into account you want to race a van just adds another layer of variables to it.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i neeed to play with my pressure next year i was told by others to run 34 front and 26 rear but dont think that was to good , still better than my old tires but i still think they can do better .

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
i neeed to play with my pressure next year i was told by others to run 34 front and 26 rear but dont think that was to good , still better than my old tires but i still think they can do better .

If your running a LT tire you probally can run less PSI My best ever 60' was on the factory bridgestone tires @ about 35/25, its just the thought that the side walls are much stiffer on a lt tire than on a P tire like the toyos!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
If your running a LT tire you probally can run less PSI My best ever 60' was on the factory bridgestone tires @ about 35/25, its just the thought that the side walls are much stiffer on a lt tire than on a P tire like the toyos!

see sig i'm running toyos , i am hoping to go out on a t/t night and document every run just trying caltrac setups and tire pressures . plus my toyos are on a 20" rim so i dont have much sidewall not scared of low pressures just think i'm lacking sidewall.