Best rebuild kit for an LBZ?

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
Rebuild my lbz and I started picking out parts individually and it got expensive quick. After looking around I found some full rebuild kits for a good price. Does anyone have a recommendation for a kit that they have used? I found some on some sites I’ve never been to before so I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not.

Here are some links, tell me what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Welcome to the site! Let's start with what has caused the overhaul? What are your goals and usage for the truck? What modifications, if any, does the truck already have?

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
Reason for overhaul is turbo failure, looking to go back to just an almost stock lbz. The turbo that blew was a 72mm Danville.

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
The bearing locked up and when I got home noticed coolant and oil mixed somewhere. I can’t say for sure that it happened before the turbo failed but I was thinking the housing might have cracked and they mixed there.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
So why do you need to overhaul the engine just because the turbo went bad? How many miles? Seems foolish unless something else drastically went wrong.

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
220,000 miles, didn’t really have to be rebuilt but my biggest concern was the fluids mixing and I am replacing quite a few things anyway so just decided to pull it and rebuild.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Unless you had a lot of coolant in there for a good bit i doubt it hurt much. Of course it wasn’t good for it but i would drain oil and refill fresh oil with some flush additive added. 220k is not enough miles for a rebuild. That’s just good broke in. 255k on mine with all original fuel system and tuned for 3/4 of that miles. Runs like a top yet.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
It’s not impossible to have mixed at the turbo but more probable to be mixing at the oil cooler. Are you sure the coolant wasn’t mixing in for awhile before the turbo went? Turbo will be the first to go with bad oil. If that would be the case then you might not be so far off on your rebuild idea.

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
Yea that’s the problem, I’m not sure if they were mixing before the turbo went.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would start pulling it apart and inspecting things before ordering parts unless time is an issue. I would think starting with bottom end should give you a good idea what it needs. That way you don't have to pull the heads and have all that expense unless you need to rebuild.

ChanceLBZ

Nov 25, 2019
Bottom end looks fine and there doesn’t seem to be any coolant in the oil, just oil in the coolant, which if it did happen in the turbo that would make sense because the oil pressure would be higher than the coolant meaning the oil would shoot over into the coolant side, right?

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
Dawn dish soap and water works good to flush the oil out of everything once its running again.

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
It was a dodge, but when I lost oil into the coolant it was the oil cooler. I did have to rebuild. I had gotten lazy checking the oil and I was down 2.5 gallons before the idiot light came on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro