Best NP263XHD Prebuilt Case or Rebuild Kit

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So I'm pretty new to the internals of these cases. My tow rig has a pretty rough clunk going into 4wd and it can be violent. Is there any specific case that seems to be the best? We've always used Merchant cases here but would like to hold onto some of my money hahaha. I have also installed a few Kodiak Truck cases and those customers have not had any issues with them either.

I can't seem to find a rebuild kit that offers everything I'd need (updated forks etc since it is a 2002), does anyone have any leads or is it better to just buy a complete rebuilt case and cry once? My apologies for the questions, I don't have much experience rebuilding these things so be easy on me haha.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My rough math puts me around $1000-$1100 in parts, for $300 more I can buy a reman case which is starting to look like the route I will go.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
But I have heard nothing but good from Kodiak and he isn't bad on pricing either. I think you will be much better off to purchase one already re-built unless you just want the experience..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive rebuilt them myself but the cases were "that bad" yet. shit adds up quick in buying parts for them. you also cant find wear specs to save your life. if the t-case is in semi good shape, its still a 4-600 dollar rebuild in parts most times.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
But I have heard nothing but good from Kodiak and he isn't bad on pricing either. I think you will be much better off to purchase one already re-built unless you just want the experience..

That's what I'm leaning Towards. Ryan and Mark are less than 2 hours from my house so I'd just drive down and exchange it (no core BS etc). The only thing I need to confirm is that Kodiak says "no warranty" unless you update your slip yoke. While I'm not buying the yoke from them, I just had a brand new 5" driveshaft made that's still sitting in the tube in my garage for 1480 joints that has a brand new slip yoke.

ive rebuilt them myself but the cases were "that bad" yet. shit adds up quick in buying parts for them. you also cant find wear specs to save your life. if the t-case is in semi good shape, its still a 4-600 dollar rebuild in parts most times.

And that's where I'm at. I don't think it's doing so great when it severely jerks the truck going into 4wd at more than zero mph. Kodiak thinks some of the teeth are hurt and causing the jerk on one of the collars as well as they believe the clutch to dampen the engagement is likely toast.

At this point I'm just going to drive to the fine folks at Kodiak and hand them money and a core case in return for a fresh one. I have zero desire to rebuild this case nor track down all the updated pieces (shift collar, shift fork, range fork etc).

Reactions: OleBlackyLBZ

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's what I'm leaning Towards. Ryan and Mark are less than 2 hours from my house so I'd just drive down and exchange it (no core BS etc). The only thing I need to confirm is that Kodiak says "no warranty" unless you update your slip yoke. While I'm not buying the yoke from them, I just had a brand new 5" driveshaft made that's still sitting in the tube in my garage for 1480 joints that has a brand new slip yoke.

And that's where I'm at. I don't think it's doing so great when it severely jerks the truck going into 4wd at more than zero mph. Kodiak thinks some of the teeth are hurt and causing the jerk on one of the collars as well as they believe the clutch to dampen the engagement is likely toast.

At this point I'm just going to drive to the fine folks at Kodiak and hand them money and a core case in return for a fresh one. I have zero desire to rebuild this case nor track down all the updated pieces (shift collar, shift fork, range fork etc).

merchant was the best place for me to get parts. Not cheap but has about everything you need. i look for low mile cases or buy rebuilt anymore as well.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Transfer Case Express was great when I got my NP271 to swap into my 02, looks like they're $1,200 and I'm sure could update/upgrade for you

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Kodiak in Michigan? If thats who your talking about ive seen them on youtube quite a bit. From what I’ve seen on the tube I would purchase a transfer case from them. Mark seems to know his way around them pretty good. This guy on youtube is always filming him on his channel.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Kodiak in Michigan? If thats who your talking about ive seen them on youtube quite a bit. From what I’ve seen on the tube I would purchase a transfer case from them. Mark seems to know his way around them pretty good. This guy on youtube is always filming him on his channel.
Truck Master. And I think Rustbelt Mechanic a little too.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Truck Master. And I think Rustbelt Mechanic a little too.

Kodiak Truck is in North Prairie, WI. Both Josh (Truck Master) and Rustbelt Mechanic have done filming on their channels. They (Kodiak) actually rollerizes the mainshaft which to me is a great improvement. Is it lifechanging? Hell no, but removing that friction can only help lifespan plus they use all the updated forks etc.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’ve also heard nothing but good stuff about Kodak t-cases.

I'm just waiting for them to get back in the office and see if I can get one in black or raw instead of the color they always paint them. It's being picky but, well, I'd rather have it raw or black because it matches better with the truck vs the Detroit Diesel like color they use.

Here is a video on their cases, pretty neat how they add the bearings.
Source: https://youtu.be/sfv0SnzqtGE?t=122

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
What fluid do you run in your t-case Brad? I've been using the merchant automotive fluid the last 2 or 3 years.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What fluid do you run in your t-case Brad? I've been using the merchant automotive fluid the last 2 or 3 years.

I've been running CenPeCo's synthetic ATF for the last few years and had great luck. Before that I was running generic Dex6 or a generic synthetic "all makes all models" out of our 55gal drums at the shop.

With the Kodiak Truck case you have to run 5w30 synthetic motor oil according to them so that is what I'll run. I'll grab some Mobil 1 and send it. I usually do yearly t-case changes regardless as they don't hold a ton and the fluid isn't all that expensive/time consuming to change.

I also tend to "over do" my maintenance schedules. Like my tow rig LB7 will get 5k OCIs even if the oil analysis comes back as allowing extended intervals. I also change my spin on every 10k and do an internal/fluid change every 50k. Fuel filters are every 10k plus an extra set under the seat/toolbox.