Best converter for LBZ

Trussman

JAFO
May 22, 2008
Wisconsin
Been reading converter threads for at least a week, too many variables among them to reach a decision, looking for input for a daily driver, no drag racing, no pulling, other than what a normal duramax owner might be talked in to....LOL

Stock turbo, 3" downpipe feeding a 4" corsa exhaust

32" tires, stock gears

PPE standard tuner, top setting of 225

Truck is DD, tow 6,000 lbs a few times a month, on occasion 14,000

No plans for turbo(s), more power, etc....

Lemme know what you think............oh ya......think I'd rather have her tight than loose.:D

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I haven't been happier with my truck as I have been now with the 1054. I have had a 1057, DPC, and precision ML( second best). Still run the stock turbo in the valley. A lot tighter coupling in low RPM's then all the rest I have had.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
1900 stall stay close to stock
maybe consider single plate tcc sometimes the thinner ones in triples can warp over the long run.

mpeters0991

Aug 17, 2010
Southeast Iowa
I'm not sure how a lml converter would suit your needs, but I have bought one for my self and I'm just waiting till I get time to put it in. Do some reading about it on here and Dieselplace, they both have great info.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm not sure how a lml converter would suit your needs, but I have bought one for my self and I'm just waiting till I get time to put it in. Do some reading about it on here and Dieselplace, they both have great info.

LML converters are stock stall. You won't feel any difference. Roller clutch is bigger and it has a 2 sided disc. Doesn't couple worth a shit. Price is right.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Do you think triple plate tcc is a must?

The best single disc will hold up to 425 hp at the wheels. You can eliminate knock down at the converter flow valve, but it will eventualy start breaking the lining off the clutch. Single disc will lose either way.
Multi disc clutch setups will spread the the apply shock more evenly and absorb the stress.
The LML converter is quite a strong unit with its huge roller clutch setup, but anything over 800 ft lb of tq will start to bust the lining off.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The best single disc will hold up to 425 hp at the wheels. You can eliminate knock down at the converter flow valve, but it will eventualy start breaking the lining off the clutch. Single disc will lose either way.
Multi disc clutch setups will spread the the apply shock more evenly and absorb the stress.
The LML converter is quite a strong unit with its huge roller clutch setup, but anything over 800 ft lb of tq will start to bust the lining off.

You think with a pressure box the lml units will give the 5r110 a run for the money?
I am speaking in terms of hot 6.4 powerstokes tunes and trans taking upwards of the 550rwhp range before smoking the converters?

Does the sonnax billet cover for the older lct1000 fit ok on an lml converter?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You think with a pressure box the lml units will give the 5r110 a run for the money?
I am speaking in terms of hot 6.4 powerstokes tunes and trans taking upwards of the 550rwhp range before smoking the converters?

Does the sonnax billet cover for the older lct1000 fit ok on an lml converter?

That answer has already been said in many other lml threads about their trans and its a no

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike, would this be the ML-G with the heavy duty stator? Or yet another converter, and how does it compare to the ML & ML-G?

I'm talking about the latest version of the HD stator. I was going to install it in my truck and decided to stick in an LBZ with a big program and 37's. It is impressive. can't wait to get one for me.