Best brand of AC compressor

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Well my Internet cheapie already crapped out on me two months after I bought it. Which brand is best for a new one? AC Delco? Delphi?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ac delco is all I've used on trucks I worked on. Rock auto has them for the same price as you listed

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
That's the exact one I got. From buyautoparts website (they're who sells the amazon link) and on the way back from the beach the compressor locked up. And when I call customer service it's always 60+ minute wait. I can get an AC delco or Delphi for $200

They have cheap kits too. That's a kit with an oem compressor. I got Delphi compressors in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
They have cheap kits too. That's a kit with an oem compressor. I got Delphi compressors in mine.

Ah I see that's why there was a price difference. I just put a whole new kit (everything minus the evaporator) in it so just need the compressor again :mad: so delco or Delphi either one. Whichever I can get cheaper haha another thought. Since I just had it recharged with new oil and all do I need to put more oil into the system or can I just charge it again

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You need to drain the oil out of the compressor your replacing and measure it and replace the same amount. You will need a little bit of oil. Problem is if you buy a compressor and don't change the drier at the same time you won't get warranty on the compressor. Then you need a little bit of oil for that too.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You need to drain the oil out of the compressor your replacing and measure it and replace the same amount. You will need a little bit of oil. Problem is if you buy a compressor and don't change the drier at the same time you won't get warranty on the compressor. Then you need a little bit of oil for that too.

Dang it I just replaced he drier 2 months ago

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You should be doing a heck of a lot more than just replacing the dryer and compressor. That whole system needs a back flush now, the orifice tube replaced, the dryer, the compressor and then new oil/refrigerant put back in. When a compressor goes, it throws shit through the whole damn system. It will kill the new compressor in short order (may have done that to your new one if you didn't back flush the old parts) and gives a high possibility of causing a blockage somewhere in the system.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You should be doing a heck of a lot more than just replacing the dryer and compressor. That whole system needs a back flush now, the orifice tube replaced, the dryer, the compressor and then new oil/refrigerant put back in. When a compressor goes, it throws shit through the whole damn system. It will kill the new compressor in short order (may have done that to your new one if you didn't back flush the old parts) and gives a high possibility of causing a blockage somewhere in the system.

Old compressor never went out. Just looked terrible and had been off for so long when I was working on the truck I got a new one. New drier, accumulator, compressor, orifice tube. New seals. Recovered what tiny bit was in the system still along with the junk. New oil. And the factory suggested amount of freon. Worked beautifully till the compressor was on constantly for a 4.5 hour ride. Started to get warm but still worked after the truck cooled off. Then in the way back about an hour from the house (it had worked great for the previous 2 hours) it got warmer and warmer till no cold air. Pulled off and turned the AC back on and made horrible noises. Clutch was dang near locked up.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Did the clutch die or is the compressor locked up?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Old compressor never went out. Just looked terrible and had been off for so long when I was working on the truck I got a new one. New drier, accumulator, compressor, orifice tube. New seals. Recovered what tiny bit was in the system still along with the junk. New oil. And the factory suggested amount of freon. Worked beautifully till the compressor was on constantly for a 4.5 hour ride. Started to get warm but still worked after the truck cooled off. Then in the way back about an hour from the house (it had worked great for the previous 2 hours) it got warmer and warmer till no cold air. Pulled off and turned the AC back on and made horrible noises. Clutch was dang near locked up.

If you didn't back flush that old system, you probably left something in there that did it in, not to mention the oil that was left in the lines, condenser and evaporator, then adding more oil on top of it. Too much can kill performance as well as the compressor too. Vac down the system or recovering does not pull the oil or crud out, just refrigerant

What you described is pretty indicative of a compressor coming apart, plugging the orifice tube up more and more till it was done. As that tube plugs or any part of the system on the low side does, the pressure drops after it more and more which causes the temp to drop more. This creates a frozen blockage inside till you shut it off or the truck off.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
So does this mean I need another new condensor and accumulator even tho the ithers are only 2 months old? The only thing that had oil left in it was the evaporator. All other lines had been removed and cleaned and all under hood components were replaced.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So does this mean I need another new condensor and accumulator even tho the ithers are only 2 months old? The only thing that had oil left in it was the evaporator. All other lines had been removed and cleaned and all under hood components were replaced.

you need a new dryer, orifice tube and compressor at min. the rest should be back flushed and cleaned thoroughly till there is 0 metal or crap coming out of it.

a rag held around the end of the hose or part where the stuff will be flushed out is a good way to judge how much crap is coming out and when you have got it all. they make a flushing fluid or if you can buy brake clean cheaper, you can use that. the condensers i use a half a can, shake the hell out of it, then blow it out with compressed air.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
you need a new dryer, orifice tube and compressor at min. the rest should be back flushed and cleaned thoroughly till there is 0 metal or crap coming out of it.

a rag held around the end of the hose or part where the stuff will be flushed out is a good way to judge how much crap is coming out and when you have got it all. they make a flushing fluid or if you can buy brake clean cheaper, you can use that. the condensers i use a half a can, shake the hell out of it, then blow it out with compressed air.

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a drier? I know of the accumulator which is the silver canister in the firewall, the evaporator that's inside the firewall, and condensor in the cooling stack. So I just take 2 lines loose and spray the cleaner in it. And then blow it out till it's clean?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
They are the same thing. Accumulator is the correct term, while freon is not :D

It's a common term, and technically it does "dry" the system.

If you don't remove the condenser, when you spray cleaner through it, it will just lay in the bottom. Much better off removing it. The evap you don't really have a choice unless you REALLY feel like removing it, I doubt that any got past the condenser but you better check :thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a drier? I know of the accumulator which is the silver canister in the firewall, the evaporator that's inside the firewall, and condensor in the cooling stack. So I just take 2 lines loose and spray the cleaner in it. And then blow it out till it's clean?

sorry, accumulator is what 01-02 trucks use. the 03 and up use a drier.

yes, you may have to do that a few times to get everything out. do not open the accumulator till you are ready to throw it on and have the system vac down and filled quickly. after an hour or so of being open to the atmosphere or in a system that has been open and cleaned like you are doing, the desiccant no longer becomes effective.

i would leave the old accu. on the truck while you clean everything out and take it down to get the truck done, then have the tech either swap it on or plan with the tech that soon as you bring it down, it puts the truck on a vac to boil out the moisture. once its on a vac and running, you are safe.

this sounds like a pain and a ton of steps but it will net you the best performing system possible. there are guys who have gotten away without changing the accu or receiver/drier, never done a vac of the system, never cleaned their shit out after a compressor let loose and so on but the life expectancy of those systems are not very long. i have touched the system in my truck twice and my dad bought this truck new in 01.5. once for the orifice tube dieing per a GM TSB years ago and causing shitty a/c, second was when i built the motor. besides the accu and orifice tube being replaced, i have never touched another hard part nor needed to. going on 5 years now since the system was recharged with the new engine and still will freeze you out of the truck or start freezing the evap up on humid days and low blower speed.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
They are the same thing. Accumulator is the correct term, while freon is not :D

It's a common term, and technically it does "dry" the system.

If you don't remove the condenser, when you spray cleaner through it, it will just lay in the bottom. Much better off removing it. The evap you don't really have a choice unless you REALLY feel like removing it, I doubt that any got past the condenser but you better check :thumb:

actually there is a difference between the two. they both serve different purposes but do share some jobs.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
actually there is a difference between the two. they both serve different purposes but do share some jobs.

Yes, there's a difference. I told him they were the same because that's what you meant with your terminology. And I don't believe the gm trucks ever used a TRUE receiver / drier? (On the high side).

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I'd recommend flushing the system with denatured alcohol. How do you plan on pulling a vacuum and recharging the system after the parts are replaced?