Best batteries for performance and price.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
So I've basically ran Interstates in my truck ever since I've had it, I like the warranty on them, but since I'm with a different direction with the truck; I'm looking for something for better performance and good price. I've been told Optimas but I'm just getting opinions, see what else is out there

THduramax

Will it ever end!
Aug 15, 2012
Flaherty, ky
I had a single battery from batteries plus on a built motor lly... no glow plugs or plugged in any at 30* and it still fired up fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I keep seeing mixed reviews on Optimas, either i see absolute great views on them or i see the biggest crap pile of a view. Weird.
They are hit or miss. My brother had a truck with the same Optima red top batteries for over 10 years. Still worked great when he sold it.

I went through 3 sets (that's 6 separate red tops) under warranty in 3 years.

So yeah, mixed reviews. I wouldn't buy another. I actually gave the last 2 away because I was tired of the truck not starting. My super-cheap part house batteries have lasted fine, and for 1/3 the price.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya batteries nowadays seem hit or miss no matter who makes them. Some last some don't. I had interstates last in my truck and will need to buy a couple new ones here soon when I get my truck back on the road.
I don't know what Dodge used for batteries in '03 but my brother in law is still running the original ones in his Cummins lol!!

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
I just replaced my batteries with some everstart maxx from good ol' wally world...price was very reasonable and they have some good reviews. I was tempted to try an XS power or Kinetic Racing from Jegs but they were pretty $$

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
If you want to spend the money Odyssey makes a really nice battery. They're not cheap though. A lot of people in the rockcrawling/off road community run them. I have one in the rock crawler but haven't used it enough to give my personal option.

Yellowchevy

the freeze

Feb 23, 2010
Exide edge AGM
Made in USA
$150 a peice may still have the rebate so even less
4 year free replacement
780cca

Beat that with a stick
I couldn't so I bought a set
So did the usps I heard so I had to wait a few weeks to get mine

Gone Nomad

On a Time Out
Sep 29, 2011
Best value
Flooded: East Penn's Duracell branded automotive SLI batteries from Sam's Club
AGM: Power-Sonic PHR High-Rate or PG High Energy. (High Rate in an automotive context means it can deliver brief, high current surges - like starting - better than a high energy battery that contains more total energy if delivered at a lower rate for a longer time). Both are industrial-grade batteries with a design lifespan of 10 years (especially the PG series, which is designed for telecom standby applications).

Cost is no object AGM: Trojan RE series

PowerSonic & Trojan are available in a lot of sizes that automotive batteries usually aren't made in, so check the physical sizes carefully.

Many on here with automotive-centric experience may have never heard of either brand, but don't let that stop you from considering them.
Either Powersonic or Trojan is a better value than the marketing-fluff driven Mexican-manufactured Optimas.
East Penn makes a line of Duracell-branded AGM batteries that are sold at Sam's too, but they may not be quite as long-lasting as PowerSonic or Trojan for deep cycling.

Here's a good example of the cost vs performance. All three of these batteries are interchangeable in the intended application:
Power-Sonic PG-12V55FR (60 amp-hour @ 20-hr rate, not 55AH as this seller indicates): $139.49
Optima 8171-767 (38 amp-hour @ 20-hr rate): $147.05
Exide Edge FP-AGM51JIS
(45 amp-hour @ 20-hr rate): $170+
(Exide also filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year, and now may be facing anti-trust charges, so don't count on warranty claim fulfillment).

Trojan matches PowerSonic in performance, and has slightly greater deep cycling lifespan... for a higher price than Exide (harder to buy Trojan at a big discount, too).

Last edited:

SOnic

I love you, but I hate yo
Mar 31, 2018
Iowa Des Moines
I have an Optima red top in two of my cars (one is the 308) I chose the red over the yellow because it had a longer warrenty - I think. Should I have bought the yellow? The red was a bit more expensive

dmaxdaddy

Powersport Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2010
WV
I just had two red top Optimas replaced under warranty. They didn't last a year and a half. The OEM batteries lasted 9 years under the same conditions. (infrequent driving) If I had to do it over, I wouldn't have bought the Optimas. Too expensive and it seems like there are a lot of other less expensive options that are just as good or better. Good luck!

capflya

I like rice and beans...
May 29, 2008
Fairfield, CA
Old thread...

I just got Duracell batteries for my truck from sams club. The AGM Duracell are made by Deka aka East Penn manufacturing in Pennsylvania.

If I remember right CAT batteries are made by Deka also.