Belt and Tensioner issues at 5000+rpm

Duramax_9505

Oct 29, 2016
Looking for some info on the best belt and tensioner combination for a pulling truck. Consistent logs of 5000+ RPM and walks the belt off the tensioner every hook. Any information is greatly appreciated!

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Looking for some info on the best belt and tensioner combination for a pulling truck. Consistent logs of 5000+ RPM and walks the belt off the tensioner every hook. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Lower your rail pressure, or go to gear driven CP3 pumps. You will never keep your belt on if your running dual fuelers over 180 MPA and 4500+ RPM.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
using a genuine GM tensioner? or an aftermarket?
Good question. My truck with an aftermarket tensioner would throw belts off every time I ran over 4000rpm. New gm tensioner and it never pitched another belt. Genuine has a plastic pulley with high sides.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I had a used have the belt jump a rib or 2 on the tensioner while running at the track years ago, tried a new ac delco tensioner & still did it
I was told to try a dayco, so I did & never had a problem ever again

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I wouldnt expect any tensioner to withstand 5000rpm, but what the guys have said is all worth a try.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I wouldnt expect any tensioner to withstand 5000rpm, but what the guys have said is all worth a try.

But why? They seem to work fine on the gassers? It does definitely seem like the Diesels have far more issues throwing belts at high rpm I admit. I just wonder why.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
But why? They seem to work fine on the gassers? It does definitely seem like the Diesels have far more issues throwing belts at high rpm I admit. I just wonder why.

I recently started to throw it off one rib. Have all new tensioner and pulleys. I think the long belts hurts.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You make a great point, but there's just something about our engines that belts just dont seem to stay on at rpm. I shredded a belt at a simple 3500rpm with a new Dayco tensioner on my engine way back when.

Ne-max, may be onto something, though.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I too am having issues with the belt walking 1-2 ribs and it chewing up 1 side of the belt . I bought a new tensioner at the dealership. I'm hoping it fixes it . We shall see .

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dayco tensioner here and the green gates belt. Went through 7 belts till I got the second pump aligned right and tried the dayco tensioner. Have not turned 5k but done 4500 quite a few times seeing if power was falling off up there. No issues

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

Torque and sudden change of rpm is the reasons. Regular melts can't take the stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Dayco tensioner here and the green gates belt. Went through 7 belts till I got the second pump aligned right and tried the dayco tensioner. Have not turned 5k but done 4500 quite a few times seeing if power was falling off up there. No issues

I thnk it's all in the system alignment. Mine would chuck belts off as well, lost power steering pump, replaced it. Spent extra time to align all the pulleys when installing the pump and no more problems...

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Where does one buy a Dayco tensioner and what's the part # for the gates belt for dual CP3s in case my new OEM tensioner and Napa belt don't fix it . I'm only revving to 4200---4400 . Part # on Dayco Tensioner ?

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I've also been told that there are alignment issues on my PPE dual fueler. Just sucks that I gotta spend $45 a belt each time I try something different lol :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I thnk it's all in the system alignment. Mine would chuck belts off as well, lost power steering pump, replaced it. Spent extra time to align all the pulleys when installing the pump and no more problems...

its part of it but not all of it. even after having everything lined up perfectly, i still threw belts. only when i put the new tensioner on did it stop

Where does one buy a Dayco tensioner and what's the part # for the gates belt for dual CP3s in case my new OEM tensioner and Napa belt don't fix it . I'm only revving to 4200---4400 . Part # on Dayco Tensioner ?

you can buy it from autozone. just put your year truck in. i know, sounds like a cheap chinese part but it works. i think they have a stiffer spring in there. As for the green HD belt, i ordered mine from PPE since i was getting other stuff at the time then.

I've also been told that there are alignment issues on my PPE dual fueler. Just sucks that I gotta spend $45 a belt each time I try something different lol :D

trust me, i know :roflmao: i now have a spare green belt missing a rib i keep in the truck for worse case issues. i also have a spare stock belt in there should my top CP3 or the fpr converter box die on me on a trip.