Banks Brake

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
EFI tuning can turn your stock VNT turbo into a modified form of an exhaust brake. No need for an inline brake anymore.

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
EFI tuning can turn your stock VNT turbo into a modified form of an exhaust brake. No need for an inline brake anymore.

I thought the Banks Brake is plug and play. I don't think you have to go into the exhaust line at all.

I have almost all but made up my mind to go with the Edge. I don't know enough to write tunes for this EFI Live, and sounds like to me it might be overkill for what I want. I would love to have it, but not really crazy about having to keep shelling out 250 bucks a pop for each tune. You are talking an extra 750 bucks on top of the tuner, if the seller includes two free. Or have I been misinformed on how much these tunes cost? Can the EFI Live really be tuned to do the heavy duty braking that the Banks can?

One of the main reasons I was going to with the Edge is I like the addition of the back up camera. Got two little ones that I will be keeping eyes open for, and also will be beneficial when hooking up my big trailer.

I know some of these questions are kids play to you guys, but I am new to all of this, so any advice is appreciated:thumb:

08txlmm

Mar 28, 2010
Lubbock
I thought the Banks Brake is plug and play. I don't think you have to go into the exhaust line at all.

I have almost all but made up my mind to go with the Edge. I don't know enough to write tunes for this EFI Live, and sounds like to me it might be overkill for what I want. I would love to have it, but not really crazy about having to keep shelling out 250 bucks a pop for each tune. You are talking an extra 750 bucks on top of the tuner, if the seller includes two free. Or have I been misinformed on how much these tunes cost? Can the EFI Live really be tuned to do the heavy duty braking that the Banks can?

One of the main reasons I was going to with the Edge is I like the addition of the back up camera. Got two little ones that I will be keeping eyes open for, and also will be beneficial when hooking up my big trailer.

I know some of these questions are kids play to you guys, but I am new to all of this, so any advice is appreciated:thumb:

I think you are confused about EFI Live. Usually when you buy a V2 the tuner will include 2 free tunes or some tuners will offer a dsp5 for an additional 150. Prices are specific to each tuner obviously. The 250 you are talking about is for a dsp-5 set of tunes when you aren't buying a V2. You can also have the tuner pre-program your ECM or several tuners are now offering the autocal. I would suggest either talking to a vendor here or calling a reputable tuner to get specific prices.

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought someone told me that they were paying 250/tune. So what you are saying is that for the 799+ 150, I would actually get the tuner, DSP-5 switch, and they will tune the 5 tunes for the price included?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is AutoCal capable of?

Last edited:

08txlmm

Mar 28, 2010
Lubbock
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought someone told me that they were paying 250/tune. So what you are saying is that for the 799+ 150, I would actually get the tuner, DSP-5 switch, and they will tune the 5 tunes for the price included?

A tuner can charge whatever they want to so yes it is possible someone paid 250/tune but the pricing I have seen is 150/tune or a dsp-5 for 250. The V2's are actually 900 now. I think they went up in price when the licensing price increased a couple months ago. So yes for 900+150=1050 you would get a V2 and the dsp-5 switch and tuning.

http://atptrucks.com/category.sc?categoryId=139

Here is a full list of pricing from ATP trucks. I posted his link cause it has a good list of prices and I am running his tunes on my truck right now and am very happy with them. You may want to check with the vendors here to see what they offer or if they offer a deal for members

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the Autocal is basically just a version of the V2 with less options. It can be shipped to someone and can only tune/log the vehicle. You cannot modify any of the tuning itself, only the tuner can modify tunes and email you updates that you download to the Autocal. It is very similar to a pre-programmed ECM but there is no down time and it can be updated/modified much faster. Looks like the full dsp-5 flash for you truck is not currently available in the Autocal though.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas

250 per tune is pretty steep. Like 08txlmm said, prices can vary depending on tuner but usually 7-800 for EFILive, another 2-300 for the dsp5 switch and the tunes.

Not sure about Banks exhaust brake, I was thinking of the BD style inline exhaust brake. The VNT turbo on your truck can be tuned to use the veins to act as an exhaust brake. Works quite well. There may be other tuners/programmers out there that can do similar, but the only one I'm aware of is EFI.

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
You guys are knowledgeable about this stuff. I am taking baby steps trying to learn. So what about buying a flashed ECM? Anyone tried this before? I know I do not know enough to tune the truck myself at this point, so maybe better to buy something already "dialed in" and see if it satisfies me? I can always buy the V2 later if necessary.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Buy efi from the bestest best tuner near you and schedule a day for some custom tuning. That way if there is any bugs in the tune the tuner will be able to adjust whatever needs to be adjusted to your liking.