balance rates - Did I do it right and how do they look?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
got a noise, under load, with any tune.

not consistant tho. Sometimes when pulling a trailer up hill the noise comes in, sometimes on bigger hills, no noise. Sometimes with no trailer its there sometimes its not.

sounds similiar to timing rattle, but it happens with stock tune, with my dd efi tune and with banks at any level.

Also sounds similiar to too much h20/meth too soon, but it happens with the meth on and off.

when I logged it it looked like rail pressure was good too

:confused:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I did get a log of it when it was making the noise if it helps any.

I was driving some 2 lane roads thru some hills in PA. Just the truck, no trailer.

Near the end of the log I was going down hill in tow/haul mode. It was steep and the rpms shot up to 3,xxx. This is just the reference point. After the rpms shot up to 3,000, the road leveled out, rpms back down, then I started climbing another hill. At that point the noise started, on the up hill climb.

that is the only spot in the log where the noise was made.

edit after frame 1100 or 1200

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
only time I run the 6gun on any level other than stock is if I have a stock tune on the ecm.

if I have an efi tune on the 6 gun is on stock

Not stacking them.

edit:
Drove 700 miles yesterday, barley heard the noise once. Wed/Thurs heard it a few times. Bad fuel? Winter Fuel? I think I need some of those 75 hp injectors to take care of it

Last edited:

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
My Dad's 05 lly does the same thing. He has like twice the injector rattle as mine has or had. With identicle tuning they were conpletely different. His also gets pretty loud sometimes. I did all the same tests and logged it a bunch of times. Everything looks ok. He had 90xxx miles on it that way with no problems. Nobody I have talked to seems to have a good answer. Not saying its ok but form my experience it hasn't affected anything yet.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I think the guys at Huckstorf figured this one out for me while I was in there.

It was doing the noise that morning, and I mentioned it to them.

IAT adjusts timing. Its been doing it since cold weather started.

We pulled the truck inside for the dyno, and it didnt make the noise.

Was making the noise a few times today. Seems to do it under 28 degrees and above 30% or so throttle.

I guess I need to move somewhere warmer

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Any chance pilot could be the cause? Seems pilot is on and off in the 1100 and 1200 referenced area? Seems funny how pilot is on with vane so far open, very low air but also very low total fuel quantity. 1169 to 1182 just a thought.

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
got a noise, under load, with any tune.

not consistant tho. Sometimes when pulling a trailer up hill the noise comes in, sometimes on bigger hills, no noise. Sometimes with no trailer its there sometimes its not.

sounds similiar to timing rattle, but it happens with stock tune, with my dd efi tune and with banks at any level.

Also sounds similiar to too much h20/meth too soon, but it happens with the meth on and off.

when I logged it it looked like rail pressure was good too

:confused:

I think the guys at Huckstorf figured this one out for me while I was in there.

It was doing the noise that morning, and I mentioned it to them.

IAT adjusts timing. Its been doing it since cold weather started.

We pulled the truck inside for the dyno, and it didnt make the noise.

Was making the noise a few times today. Seems to do it under 28 degrees and above 30% or so throttle.

I guess I need to move somewhere warmer

Log the fuel temp sensor, IAT and the ECT sensor.

You may have a bad sensor and it will use an add-on table with a multiplier.

Seen it happen before.

;)

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Any chance pilot could be the cause? Seems pilot is on and off in the 1100 and 1200 referenced area? Seems funny how pilot is on with vane so far open, very low air but also very low total fuel quantity. 1169 to 1182 just a thought.

:dontknow:

Log the fuel temp sensor, IAT and the ECT sensor.

You may have a bad sensor and it will use an add-on table with a multiplier.

Seen it happen before.

;)

I'll try that next time the truck is out.

thanks both of you

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Even when turned to stock banks still makes changes. I know for sure it adds boost timing is a maybe. It's easy enough to unhook i say unhook it and then see if it still happens