Bad Water Pumps

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I hope your reluctor wheel is not loose or a shered pin. we discovered mine was sheared after every thing was apart. you may want to look at things real close before you put it togehter for a 3rd time

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
I hope your reluctor wheel is not loose or a shered pin. we discovered mine was sheared after every thing was apart. you may want to look at things real close before you put it togehter for a 3rd time

dont think the reluctor wheel with crank gear is involved here . It's bolted to crank gear and noise would be coming from cam gear to water pump gear .

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
I'm buying the shitty gears thing. Thats just what it sounds like. Only question is do i wanna give up my supercharger whine?

i've heard the noise will go away after as many as 2000 miles :rolleyes:, now that your an expert matt i might call in your services :baby: as mine is going to be changed this winter .

My pump never leaked a drop until i pulled it into your shop. Sabotage?:rolleyes: It's pretty easy except the balancer bolt that kept breaking my breaker bars:mad:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
:wasntme::rofl:

My pump never leaked a drop until i pulled it into your shop. Sabotage?:rolleyes: It's pretty easy except the balancer bolt that kept breaking my breaker bars:mad:[/QUOTE]

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Just got off phone with my dealer guy and he is bringing me both water pumps .
old and new .

He says the new gears have skinnier teeth than old and doesnt see smoothing them out helping .

I would have thought it would be opposite .

Going to figure out something to solve this issue .

Sounds like I have a whipple charger and turbo under hood .

turk walker

Dec 16, 2006
gillette,wyoming
I had the same whinning problem with my water pump after shop got done installing it.They told me I was "hearing" things.
I made them change it out, which they did after a fight.
No more noise,must have got a good this time.

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
My friend's new pump whines too, just like mine.

LOL i went to dealership yesterday to see if parts guy could do anything for me. Tech came out and i explained what was happening. His response was that my fan clutch was bad, ha ha wow.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Today is water pump day . Went to Napa and bought a pump . Gear looks like old pump so thats a plus . The pump I have been running is making more noise than usual . Im not going to screw with it anymore waiting for it to go bad . I also see metal in the oil . That made me worry and pissed at the same time . The gear must be giving off metal . I new I shouldnt be driving it with a noise like that . Tore it down now in driveway today . When I saw metal in the oil I decided no waiting . I can already picture my oil pump and bearings getting jacked up . Im hoping for this to go well . Fingers crossed on this pump not making any gear noise . I will inspect the cam gear before I stick the new pump in also . Should have it back together in about 2 hours . Had the wife hold the crow bar in the inspection hole of trans on flex teeth so I could get the balancer bolt loose . Thats done now just need to get pump off and back on .

This bad water pump deal twice now and the thoughts of metal in my oil makes me feel like pulling the motor and putting a new oil pump in and rod and main bearings . We know I am not going to unless something fails down the road . But it sure sucks on the new motor to have stupid dealer part failure like this out of my control . You try to put what you think is the best part on it and you get something like this . It is obvious when you look at the two pump gears that they are different . And the one from napa is like old gear . Im also hoping this damn pump hasnt hurt the cam gear and caused any difference in gear as to make for poor timing at crank gear to cam gear . This has been another thought , and oil temps from bad mesh on water pump gear . Also I will make sure the new pump today is tightened down very evenly as to not cause and possible gear alignment issue either . I will be looking for something other than pump causing this .

Well back at it , stopped to post and eat a sandwich . :)

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Today is water pump day . Went to Napa and bought a pump . Gear looks like old pump so thats a plus . The pump I have been running is making more noise than usual . Im not going to screw with it anymore waiting for it to go bad . I also see metal in the oil . That made me worry and pissed at the same time . The gear must be giving off metal . I new I shouldnt be driving it with a noise like that . Tore it down now in driveway today . When I saw metal in the oil I decided no waiting . I can already picture my oil pump and bearings getting jacked up . Im hoping for this to go well . Fingers crossed on this pump not making any gear noise . I will inspect the cam gear before I stick the new pump in also . Should have it back together in about 2 hours . Had the wife hold the crow bar in the inspection hole of trans on flex teeth so I could get the balancer bolt loose . Thats done now just need to get pump off and back on .

This bad water pump deal twice now and the thoughts of metal in my oil makes me feel like pulling the motor and putting a new oil pump in and rod and main bearings . We know I am not going to unless something fails down the road . But it sure sucks on the new motor to have stupid dealer part failure like this out of my control . You try to put what you think is the best part on it and you get something like this . It is obvious when you look at the two pump gears that they are different . And the one from napa is like old gear . Im also hoping this damn pump hasnt hurt the cam gear and caused any difference in gear as to make for poor timing at crank gear to cam gear . This has been another thought , and oil temps from bad mesh on water pump gear . Also I will make sure the new pump today is tightened down very evenly as to not cause and possible gear alignment issue either . I will be looking for something other than pump causing this .

Well its been 2 hours, any info?:)

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal

You never replaced your oil cooler when you did your build corectt? mabey this is where the metal in the oil came from. I dont see how metal from the water system would get in the oil system :confused:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
You never replaced your oil cooler when you did your build corectt? mabey this is where the metal in the oil came from. I dont see how metal from the water system would get in the oil system :confused:

He's probably not refering to metal in the cooling system. It would be metal from the cam gear and the water pump gear not lining up right.... that would get dropped into the oil and make it's way back to the pan.