Bad Transfer Case - Since New - 2019 Chevrolet 3500HD SRW SB

Lifted L5P

De Re Metallica
Mar 6, 2021
Montana
Got tired of arguing with multiple local Chevy dealers that there was something wrong with my transfer case since day 1 (purchased truck new September 2018).

When in 4WD and pressing down on the accelerator ... the truck had a significant vibration that I did not feel in my father’s identical 2017 & a 2018 off the dealer’s used truck lot.

Also lots of metal shavings / particles on the magnetic drain plug ... even at only 5,000 miles since last fluid change (started changing it every 5k miles just to show the build up).

At a little over 36,000 miles I decided to pay the highly recommended local transmission shop to remove my transfer case and crack it open to investigate.

Low and behold excessive side wear on the 4WD sprockets connected by the chain ... shop was able to show the sprockets were lined up improperly during manufacturing.

Currently going thru the long drawn-out process with Chevrolet Customer Service (have a case number) regarding submitting the information for reimbursement ... not holding my breath ... transfer case rebuild was $2,700 out-of-pocket.

Not posting this to complain ... more to let those that have a 2017-2019 L5P with a vibration when accelerating in 4WD ... you may have the same issue.

Will let everyone know how it works out in the end with Chevrolet Customer Service.

As for the local dealers ... can’t justify paying outrageous dealer pricing for technicians who can’t diagnose an internal powertrain issue.

Side Note: The last picture is a bearing ... unfortunately I can’t show how the inner race moves side to side. Transmission shop said it was the chain moving side to side due to misalignment that caused the vibration when hitting the accelerator. Also gotta love “China” stamped on sprockets and bearings ... see sprocket on left hand side of the last picture ... go figure.

1615145880222.jpeg1615145927429.jpeg

1615145985955.jpeg
1615146027864.jpeg
1615146066721.jpeg
1615161024863.jpeg2
1615161069763.jpeg

Last edited:

FreedomOne

Sep 30, 2020
I think I'm planning on refilling with 0w-20 or 5w-30 when I get a chance. Atf doesn't seem like the optimal choice for that setup.

Reactions: Lifted L5P

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
How much do you drive in 4wd??

also, is your truck actually lifted? Because moving the front diff any will cause vibrations.

Lifted L5P

De Re Metallica
Mar 6, 2021
Montana
I did not lift my truck until 25k miles (per the sales receipt). The truck has exhibited this issue since the first time it was put in 4WD with under 1k miles. I have three Chevy dealer warranty inspection invoices to prove it ... one at 1.5k miles, another at 13k miles, and another at 22k miles. This was a manufacturing problem, not a lift problem. The transmission shop proved this when they cracked open the transfer case and identified the sprockets on each end of the chain were not aligned with each other. One of the sprockets was improperly spaced on the output shaft during manufacturing.

Side note: I had custom steel front differential drop brackets designed in Solid Works (design software), steel pieces cut with a laser cutting machine, bends made with a hydraulic break, and support gussets welded inside the drop brackets. Did all of this so the front differential pinion is properly pointed upward and inline with the transfer case front output so a double cardan drive shaft could be installed. Also drilled and tapped an additional oil fill hole in the differential case when the 4.56 ring & pinion was installed so I can easily overfill the front differential ensuring the pinion is not starved for lubrication. So as you can see ... front driveline angle is not an issue for me ... probably got a better front driveline setup than the best lift kits out there.

Lifted L5P

De Re Metallica
Mar 6, 2021
Montana
no lemon law in your state?

The dealer never would admit there was any issue with the transfer case. I would take the service advisor for a ride, put the truck in 4WD, press on the accelerator (straight road, relatively slow speeds), the truck would vibrate, and the service advisor would say that’s normal. So we would go back to the dealership, I would have them drive a similar used truck off the lot, it would not vibrate in 4wd, and they would respond that some trucks just vibrate more than others (service manager said this). Took it to another dealership ... same outcome. So you can’t pursue the lemon law unless your truck is inoperable at their repair facility for more than 30 days in 6 months ... or something like that.

So the lemon law will not protect me anyway ... just a crappy deal of GM not honoring their warranty because they are misinformed by the local dealerships ... who they believe are more knowledgeable than the transmission shops who rebuild their parts every day.

Last edited:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I don’t think it’s gm not honoring a warranty.

I think your issue is a service writer who doesn’t want to pursue the issue. Bottom line. It’s not a slap a part on and call it done scenario.

Lifted L5P

De Re Metallica
Mar 6, 2021
Montana
I don’t think it’s gm not honoring a warranty.

I think your issue is a service writer who doesn’t want to pursue the issue. Bottom line. It’s not a slap a part on and call it done scenario.
Service writer took it to the Warranty District Manager for Gm who denied it. That was verified when I called Chevrolet Customer Service ... they had it on record.

Lifted L5P

De Re Metallica
Mar 6, 2021
Montana
for what reason?
They said it was caused by the lift kit.

I asked ”How is that possible when I provided the lift kit purchase & install receipt with the date showing it was installed after the multiple times I brought it in complaining about the transfer case.”

They replied “It doesn’t matter, we have made our decision, have a goof day Mr. xxxxxxx”.

FabTech covered it under their powertrain warranty ... so I have been paid back.

But it still isn’t right ... this was a manufacturing error blamed on a lift kit that was installed after several dealer visits asking for warranty service.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I had a substantial metal shavings on my magnet when I service the transfer case recently. I don’t have the vibration issue like you explained but I do feel there has been excessive wear to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lifted L5P