Bad timing for electrical gremlins...

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
Over the weekend, the hubs and I took my truck from Mesa, AZ to Lubbock, TX to start cleaning out his shop for the move to WA. This trip was to pick up the first of two trucks, so we were pulling approximately 10k lbs home. We left from Lubbock late on Sunday, drove to Whites City, NM and napped for a couple hours (truck off) and continued on sometime around dawn. Unfortunately, that put us pulling into AZ mid-morning.

Idiot light popped up before Tucson - P0340 (Camshaft position sensor), cleared the code, popped up within five minutes. Purchased a new sensor with plans to swap out Tuesday morning. Got stuck at every red light going through Tucson, trans got up to 225 at the hottest point, engine 204. "Service trailer brakes" came up once and disappeared just as quickly. Thirty miles from home, we blew a tire on the trailer and the one behind was leaking. We sat on the side of the road, with the truck off, until a friend brought a second spare. Ambient temp was 115. Went to start the truck to finish the journey... NOTHIN. Had power, lights, Fass ran, no crank, no start, no trans communication.
Codes:
U0106 (2 occurences) - lost coms w/ glow plug module
U0101 (2 occurences) - lost coms w/ TCM
U0100 - lost coms w/ ECM/PCM "A"
First friend came out to pick up the loaded trailer for us, but we sat around a while before we unhooked the trailer to move Athena out of the way. Hubby tried to start the truck for grins and giggles, lo and behold, she fired up! Pulled her forward and left her running.
Second friend showed up with a flat deck for Athena approx. 30-45 minutes later. Truck stayed running the whole time. When my hubby drove her around to load her up, he said that she was glitchy. When we got to the house, remote start worked, but she died out about a minute later. Key turn started her and kept her running. I backed her off the trailer and parked with no noticeable glitches. Tuesday morning, remote started and died out. I started her up normally and drove the two miles to the shop with no issues.

Any input or suggestions are much appreciated! He's still gotta go back to Lubbock to pick up one more truck, and I have two trips to NW Washington and back to make in the next two weeks (one solo northbound with a uhual trailer and then back with the hubs to pick up the horses).

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere but not sure which one. Maybe under the driver door on the frame or one on the engine would be my first guess

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
Buddy just texted me the codes so far:
P0340
P0703
U1041
P0575
U0140
U0106
U0101
P150C
P2544
Trans codes
U0121
U0137
U0184
U0102
C0561-72
B1259

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
He’s using Identifix to narrow down the issue before he starts tearing into it. It looks like a new BCM at the very least and loss of my EFI Live (since the tuner didn’t come with the truck).

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You'll only loose the tune if they replace or update the ecm. Hopefully it is just the bcm

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
Buddy called me this afternoon, seriously frustrated and close to defeat chasing a ghost that he couldn’t replicate. Was considering a bad set of batteries and planned to do more testing on them to see what they did when the truck was hot and under load. Called back 20 minutes later after methodically poking at harnesses, he discovered truck wouldn’t start after poking at the harness just in front of the resonator delete on top of the engine. Will know more tomorrow.