Bad reman Caliper and rusted brake lines

glendonboy

Jul 5, 2013
I have a 2005 GMC CC. I purchased new and have always had the dealer service. A couple of months ago friends with similar aged GMCs trucks were having their brake lines rust out. Sure enough mine went as well. I know now about all the problems they have had. I have 2 issues. First is why has my dealer never mentioned the pending issue, when supposedly they are doing all these "checks" at service? That really frosts me.
Second concern. I had a friend replace the lines with stainless and he had to replace the calipers as well(reman). Got my truck back and drove around town a few days and all seemed fine. Went on a 350 mile trip. Drive down was fine. We were towing a trailer of 4 wheelers to get sprayed off, when coming to a stop sign, the brake pedal went to the floor. Limp back to where I am staying. Take a look and it looks like a piece of the casting has chipped off around the bleeder and is hemorrhaging brake fluid when the pedal is pressed. My question is this common with remaned calipers or just a freak? And should(or could) it have been caught at install. A google search does not show much. I thank the Lord it did not happen while rolling 80 mph down the interstate!

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Because it's a stealership and they don't do much of anything.

And no that isn't normal or common. It might have been dropped or the bleeder could have gotten hit with something causing it to crack. May or may not have been noticeable.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

glendonboy

Jul 5, 2013
Because it's a stealership and they don't do much of anything.

And no that isn't normal or common. It might have been dropped or the bleeder could have gotten hit with something causing it to crack. May or may not have been noticeable.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks! What a niche business someone could have doing research on particular models inspecting them stem to stern, preventing issues instead of letting them happen. All things a dealer or any shop should do. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to really do it, but looks like I will be crawling under and servicing and inspecting myself. The older I get the less I trust anyone!