LB7: Bad Injectors... Maybe... Thoughts?

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
I am trying to post a video shortly. It smokes a bit more now, but today it started idling rough and when you turn the truck it off it acts different. Any advice welcomed, but I'm pretty sure it's the injectors.

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
The shop on base has one you can plug in and view what's going on I believe. Have to wait till sat to use it. Think it's the injectors though yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
If I'm going to be in the market for new injectors who do you guys recommend I go with? I would like to go ahead and get the slightly larger injectors and get the EFI Live for my truck.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I don't know what your long term plans are for the truck, but I would recommend sticking to stock size injectors unless you plan on making more than 550 HP -- which you won't be doing (for long) on a stock bottom end.

Some good 50-60% injectors will push you past 700 HP if you have the rest of mods to support it (built motor). Anything bigger than 60% on stock internals is a waste, IMO, and will be hard to tune, which drives the tune price up unnecessarily.

Lincoln Diesel Specialties usually has good prices on injectors, and they use real Bosch remans, not some crappy rebuilt parts that won't last. That's the key: real Bosch cores.

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
My only long term plans is to have some stock tunes. I'm not planning any major upgrades. I read somewhere running 10-20% injectors is acceptable for a truck that is stock.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My only long term plans is to have some stock tunes. I'm not planning any major upgrades. I read somewhere running 10-20% injectors is acceptable for a truck that is stock.

You can get away with 10-20% injectors on the stock tune, but you'd be better off with stock injectors and a EFILive tune. IMO, either stick with stock injectors, or jump straight to 50% overs or bigger. Anything in between is a waste of money IMO. Either way, spend the money on a tune if you want a bit more power. Well worth it over a box tuner.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
Yeah sounds like I'm going to stick to stock injectors. Seems to be most in line with what I want to do with the truck. Anyone care to point me towards a reputable vendor in the forum that is willing to ship to Alaska. I'm hesitant to spend that much on eBay or a website.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yeah sounds like I'm going to stick to stock injectors. Seems to be most in line with what I want to do with the truck. Anyone care to point me towards a reputable vendor in the forum that is willing to ship to Alaska. I'm hesitant to spend that much on eBay or a website.

Let us know and we would be more than glad to get you a quote and taken care of!

Use this guy^^^. I just put a set of Lincoln Diesel LB7 injectors and a cp3 . They worked with the owner on shipping and gave him extra time on the core returns due to our location. Your not going to get better than that.

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Definitely go with Brent. He is a helluva guy and they have great prices and even BETTER service :thumb:

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
That's the plan now. I got a few questions see what you all think.

If my truck periodically won't start due to loss of prime, what usually causes that? I was thinking the fuel/water separator housing has a leak.

I thought about upgrading and installing a lift pump, good idea? Also I see that Cat fuel filter conversion that replaces the fuel/water separator. What are the benefits of that? Is it worth doing that rather then a new fuel/water separator and housing?

Since I'm doing injectors what other upgrades should I go ahead and just do while I'm under the hood. Everything is bone stock.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Lift pump is a must in my opion. But no need to spend big bucks. I simply added an inline low pressure fuel pump. Also added a cat pre filter. Then ran a Baldwin filter on the factory filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 42

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Lift pump and delete factory filter head.

How many miles on the cp3? Hold rail pressure?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
Well I went ahead and ordered the following through Brent at LDS:

Stock injectors
S&B intake
FASS 150 lift pump
PPE Boost Valve
Cat Filter Conversion

I'm going to rebuild the factory filter head / prime button for now. I went ahead and spent a little extra money in the lift pump and intake, more then I wanted to but I think it will be money well spent.

Awenta, I can only assume the 150,000 miles in the truck is what is on the CP3, I don't know the history of the truck prior to me owning it which has only been a couple 2-3 years now. Haven't checked anything under the hood yet. I just pulled it in the garage tonight to thaw out and now waiting on parts.

jojo

Dec 12, 2013
Southern California
Pull the sleeves, clean them, clean the bores and locktite. Also, buy new plumbing if you are going to spend all that time and effort. The fuel pipes might be pricey, but worth it. You can clean them, as some members here have. Fuel return lines are cheap and always use new gaskets and torque to spec. I changed glow plugs and added new thermostats while on my injector job. Buy factory glow plugs and factory thermostats if you so choose to buy these extra pieces. You will need to flush anti freeze. Good to time to get some anti freeze.