Bad experience with a vendor

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
I had a bad experience with a vendor. He charged my card back on the 23 sept and said the parts would ship in 2 weeks. I then cancelled 2 of the 3 parts 4 days later after he told me they had not shipped yet. I told him to credit my card for the 900 amount and i would take the pushrods when they get in. 300
Almost a month later. still no parts... i have contacted him every week asking if the credit has been applied and the pushrods sent out yet. His answer was i didnt get a chance to do it yet. The next week his reply was "this time of the year is tight on a small bussiness" like mine.???? No goods where ever shipped from you to me i told him. WTH!!!
Texted again today with no reply, so called the card company and disputed the entire amount... texted him back and said dont send the parts i dont want them now. thanks for the bad experience.. never done this before in 20 so years of ordering parts.. :(

Has anyone delt with Greg Houge or MAXSPOOL?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
The vendor told you the parts would ship in 2 weeks? Why did you cancel only 4 days in? Just trying to wrap my pathetic mind around this.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I ordered some Maxspool valve springs and after 2 weeks found out they were on back order. Than kept getting promise dates that were never met and finally asked for a refund. I did get a full refund the next day. This went on for about 6 weeks. Ended up ordering SoCal springs and retainers and had them in 3 day's!!!:thumb:

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
The vendor told you the parts would ship in 2 weeks? Why did you cancel only 4 days in? Just trying to wrap my pathetic mind around this.

The one part was not really a part, it was a charge to regrind my cam to one of his specs. The cam never left my hands. He kind of talked me into it. he is a good talker and seems to know some things about these engines. After a couple days of investigating, i found i could have it done for 200 plus the rides. The other item was Valve springs and retainers, they were 160LB seat and talking to a couple people i think 130 's would be better for my App. i asked if he had shipped any of the products before asking for the cancellation. He said no, it hasnt shipped yet waiting on pushrods to come in. that was 3 weeks ago!!

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
Yeah, you're not the first person to have a problem with Greg's business dealings. You're much better off going somewhere else for your parts.

Thanks for the info pa couger. I ordered the 130 s from REV along with valves and they were delivered 1 week later and they had to turn down the +2 inconel valves down to +1 s. Hope no one else gets burned by him.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you would've asked anyone with any experience here first, most of us would've told you to stay away from that company. He takes advantage of newbies and people with little experience/knowledge of building these trucks and you can buy better parts from other vendors.

I truly feel sorry for you. Your threads read like a "This is how NOT to do a Duramax build.....".

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
I don't post much but I can tell you that guy tripp at socal is excellent to deal with on parts. Im sure there are other great motor guys besides socal but my experience with socal twice was awesome. Sorry for your trouble.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Also the thread title is a little misleading... Maxspool is definitely not a Duramax Diesels vendor... Sux you got burned bud hopefully it gets worked out. X2 on socal, I have not purchased anything directly from Guy but he has always taken an extra minute to chat with me and offer his advice. Never once did he try to push his products or something on me that I didn't/wouldn't need. Pretty cool I thought:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Never let someone talk you into something. Do your homework first and try to understand the info available. The vendor should be able to explain the ins and outs of available products and recommend what he feels is right. Then you should check it out with other REAL pros and make up your mind.
Also, call some of the vendors customers and ask " Would you do this again and why ".

Be carefull out there.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Sorry to hear this

But not surprised! Just call Guy and get what you need and not a lot of BS! I'm sure Guy has forgot more than most of us will ever know.

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
Crappy but lesson learned

X3 on socal. I have a built socal motor and Guy goes out of his way to answer questions. He is a huge knowledge base and has great customer service, takes the time to talk to you and isnt out to "sell" you everything. Get your motor and parts from socal, get your tranny from george " big dipper" and get your tune from Tony at ridge runner diesel performance (moonshine tunes) and life will be good!!!

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
X4 on Guy, I have bought a fair amount of parts from him and they always show up in reasonable time and Guy is a pleasure to deal with. Mike L is pretty decent too;)