Attention LML owners...

Erbmyster

Jul 2, 2013
I have a 2013 and checked it today. Top half do the rubber was folded towards the radiator and bottom half was towards the engine. I checked and the rubber was no where touching radiator. I folded it all towards the engine. Seems like having it forward could restrict air flow when more air is flowing the fan can move. Nice to see posts about the LMLs.

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
Couldn't you just drill a hole through the shroud and into the rubber flap then put a rivet through it with a washer on the bottom side of the rubber flap to hold it in place? Or would that void the warranty?

04 Lb7 cc/SB new guy to the forum

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Couldn't you just drill a hole through the shroud and into the rubber flap then put a rivet through it with a washer on the bottom side of the rubber flap to hold it in place? Or would that void the warranty?

Having to drill out a rivet on each flap would be a nightmare if you ever have to remove it. But hell, a hole and a zip tie would be more than adequate I would think. I couldn't see warranty being voided on that. If so that dealer would be a joke.

So far the ones I've flipped back have not been sucked back in. At least on the fleet vehicles I get in constantly. So it's making me think that it was an assembly plant issue and not the fan sucking them in.

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
Having to drill out a rivet on each flap would be a nightmare if you ever have to remove it. But hell, a hole and a zip tie would be more than adequate I would think. I couldn't see warranty being voided on that. If so that dealer would be a joke.

So far the ones I've flipped back have not been sucked back in. At least on the fleet vehicles I get in constantly. So it's making me think that it was an assembly plant issue and not the fan sucking them in.
Yea but vs. buying a new radiator I'd do it or at least get some strong ass double sided tape to hold it in place.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Why can't you just cut the F'n thing off or trim it like I said earlier??

If you trim it then it doesn't seal to the fan shroud. However with this going rate seems like half of them aren't sealing anyhow and I've yet to hear about a cooling issue :rofl: Like I said earlier so far the ones I've flipped haven't been sucked back in so it's leading me to believe it was an assembly issue.

jmlloar

May 23, 2016
Mine pulled into the fan at 60mph, bye bye radiator.

Sounds like a factory defect to me.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Thanks for the tip, Dustin. I just checked my truck and the flaps are not showing on the top of the shroud.

I'll fix it tomorrow evening. I assume you pull the shroud off to flip the rubber fins back toward the engine?

jmlloar

May 23, 2016
not that I want to be the pessimist but I don't think that just pulling them back in place does anything to fix the problem. This is a very poor design and with the amount of suction when the fan is engaged it seems like a time bomb. And I have to think that it is a matter of when, not if it will cause a problem.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
My truck is now fixed.

For those curious about the fix, it's straight forward. Just pull the rad support cover and then the rad cover. Both are held in with push type plastic retainers. Then fold the rubber flaps back through the opening and pull them towards the engine.

jmlloar

May 23, 2016
Mine is going back together without the rubber flap

Attachments

• 20160524_203723.jpg
    20160524_203723.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20160524_203733.jpg
    20160524_203733.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 91

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Glad to see one of my old threads are still helping people out! I'm not at the dealer anymore so I can't report on any more I see. But interesting to see some results from you guys!