ATP no longer offering tuning?

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Rob was not the first big tuner to get hit. Ryan, Hardway perf, got hit last year and no longer writes tunes for 6.7 Cummins...... I’m sure more is coming unfortunately.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I think the fact that the amount of street vehicles he did out weighed the comp only vehicles didn't matter to them. But who knows, just my two cents. But him getting hit first before others that I know that advertise deletes on a regular basis surprises me honestly. But wasn't avoidable, this was bound to happen sooner or later at some point no matter how we look at it.

But it sucks that it happened to Rob. We just have to see what happens from this point onward.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kcBSUOoFUM1SWctMewnWqabxjiu5UfsC

Here's the link to the Case Docs if you guys have an issue viewing it.
I need to read it more in depth later to interpret the legaleze BS.
But if you go through the current and closed cases during this time on the EPA's page GE is getting hit real hard with multiple times.

I think after going over the documents again, that apparently it is illegal to even sell the items to delete or in any way defeat the emissions equipment and that is why all the parts with part numbers are listed in the document.

I know there are several companies that put a disclaimer that certain parts are not for sale or use on emission equipped vehicles and in some case those parts won't even be sold to certain states.

But the way I read the document, even a disclaimer would not protect you because according to the document, It is illegal to sale or manufacture those types of products. As well as if you modify the calibration of any vehicle it would technically be considered non compliant Unless the new calibration has undergone the certification process and received approval.

Although they don't necessarily advertise a delete kit, Companies like summit sell some of those same products. Yet as of current, I don't know that they have been gone after for it. Seems like if they wanted to cash in, They would hit a big company like that.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I think the fact that the amount of street vehicles he did out weighed the comp only vehicles didn't matter to them. But who knows, just my two cents. But him getting hit first before others that I know that advertise deletes on a regular basis surprises me honestly. But wasn't avoidable, this was bound to happen sooner or later at some point no matter how we look at it.

But it sucks that it happened to Rob. We just have to see what happens from this point onward.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kcBSUOoFUM1SWctMewnWqabxjiu5UfsC

Here's the link to the Case Docs if you guys have an issue viewing it.
I need to read it more in depth later to interpret the legaleze BS.
But if you go through the current and closed cases during this time on the EPA's page GE is getting hit real hard with multiple times.

It's happened to a lot more tuners than just Rob, you just haven't heard about them yet.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Guess they're all gonna have to do it on the DL or setup businesses in Canada or abroad somewhere else?

Does anyone know if they go after gas tuners the same way? They are doing the same thing as us diesel folks. I'm not in any of the gasser circles so naturally I wouldn't hear about it for them. But some of you all who dabble in the dark side, are those tuners gone after too? If not, I wonder why? They surely are a majority compared to diesel tuners I'd think?

WhiteHouse

Jan 31, 2017
Guess they're all gonna have to do it on the DL or setup businesses in Canada or abroad somewhere else?

Does anyone know if they go after gas tuners the same way? They are doing the same thing as us diesel folks. I'm not in any of the gasser circles so naturally I wouldn't hear about it for them. But some of you all who dabble in the dark side, are those tuners gone after too? If not, I wonder why? They surely are a majority compared to diesel tuners I'd think?

Bigger performance shops won’t touch emissions on cars if they are street use and registered. Of course there is always a deal to be made outside of build sheets, emails , etc.

I got my ls7 built and wanted Long tube headers and high flow cats with the package and they wouldn’t touch those parts since it was registered and tagged.

Smaller shops will take the cash and ask no questions, the tuners won’t care and tune for cash anyways. IL doesn’t do visuals for inspections so if your not throwing codes you’ll pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I see tons of modified gas cars running around. Most are old enough to be smog exempt in Idaho, but I see a decent number of Subarus with mods here, as well as a random sampling of other brands. I suspect that gas cars are so easy to tune that new shops pop up as fast as they can shut down the old ones, or people just tune themselves. If you have a wideband O2, a datalogger, and a clue, you can have a good tune nailed down in a day of country road pulls.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Tons of modified gassers here. Hennessey is right down the road I see their cars all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Lol if we end up getting shut down in the diesel scene everyone will just end up like James Bond...
Smoke switch / oil slick / lmg 249’s:roflmao:

norcaldirtymax

Sep 21, 2012
Just an idea that would probably fall on deaf ears but what about a well thought out, correctly worded petition on the "we the people" site? Not specifically addressing diesel tuning but more about EPA overreach with the clean air act. Maybe requesting a hold be put on vehicle modification portions until the government can prove that it is truly detrimental. If you can modify a vehicle that originally got 18mpg and now it achieves 22mpg what's so bad about that? Less fuel burned is less emissions. Especially in Idaho Rob's case with LML tuning with emissions intact. Really it's going to happen to everyone. All Motorsports enthusiasts need to band together; wheelers, riders, OHV, muscle car, street, strip, diesel, etc and have a petition made and a canned letter to send to their Representatives.

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
Just an idea that would probably fall on deaf ears but what about a well thought out, correctly worded petition on the "we the people" site? Not specifically addressing diesel tuning but more about EPA overreach with the clean air act. Maybe requesting a hold be put on vehicle modification portions until the government can prove that it is truly detrimental. If you can modify a vehicle that originally got 18mpg and now it achieves 22mpg what's so bad about that? Less fuel burned is less emissions.Especially in Idaho Rob's case with LML tuning with emissions intact. Really it's going to happen to everyone. All Motorsports enthusiasts need to band together; wheelers, riders, OHV, muscle car, street, strip, diesel, etc and have a petition made and a canned letter to send to their Representatives.

Better fuel economy and lower emissions are not hand in hand. A efficient hotter burn will have higher nox levels. This is one of the major diesel emissions that they are worried about. This is the emission that brought on the diesel exhaust fluid/scr systems. Also what got vw in trouble... How do you think they were making the power and fuel economy that they got.... Getting the nox levels in compliance will cost then hp and fuel mileage.