Anyone hunting yet?

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
usually 140+ is a decent buck here. my co-worker's husband gets 170-180's every year with his bow.

i've been dove hunting a few times this year so far...hasn't been too good. every dove that flies in range gets taken down, but we usually only take home about a dozen...2 or 3 of us. so yeah, definitely more beers than birds :D

Every dove :confused:

Sorry, I just had to :rofl:

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
there is nothing better than slammin one with an arrow. My old Hoyt put a doe on the ground last week! Waiting on the cold weather and a little rutting action now!!!!! :happy2:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I have a gun with me at all times. Usually shooting at coyotes or hogs and the occasional jack rabbit. I shot a crow the other day at 300 yds.

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
my co-worker's husband gets 170-180's every year with his bow.

Holy Shit!!! High fence or low fence?

I saw a HUGE Axis deer the other day at the Lonesome Dove movie set on the Rio Grande. There is some pretty nice 150s and 160s running around along the border here.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
high fence. protein year-round. i'll find a pic.
my friends in Brady get good bucks every year on low fence. not sure of the score, but they usually weigh over 200 field dressed. the last one was 220 i believe. there's also an abundance of wild axis running around there now.

Last edited:

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
170 14 pt.

Kenny's-170-opt.jpg

180 16 pt same ranch, different guys w/ gun
Chet-Zachery-180-16-point.jpg

Last edited:

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
for those of you who bow hunt in Texas, this ranch is one of the cheapest i've seen:

http://www.heartoftexasbowhunting.com/

it's closest to Melvin, but Brady is better known. close to the center of Texas geographically. bow hunting all season...no guns on deer.

Wow!! That is cheap! I'm definately gonna look into that some more.

As for the deer I'm EXTREMELY jealous!! I wish I had deer running like that running around like that on my lease(Brackettville). I'm all low fence though and my buddy's grandpa shoots everything w/ antlers except for spikes. Really PISSES me off!! And they wonder why they aren't seeing the quality deer like they used to.

03maxpower

Jan 20, 2009
somerset, pa
I couldn't tell you an average score, I should look into it.
I do know that until the the PA Game Commision implemented an antler restriction (three points on at least one side (the old rule was one spike measuring at least 2.5")) the average age of buck harvested was only 1.5 yrs. Now in the 7 yrs the antler restriction has been in place the average age is 2.5 yrs.

A 130" buck is a good buck in my area, but we have the potential for bigger buck.

that antler restriction is only certain counties and that is the state minimum some counties have a 4 point on one side restiction

i see your point like many others whitetail but some time ago when i would hit a deer with my vehicle 2-3 times a year ive decided i would kill as many deer as i could legally and in the last 3 years or so i havent hit one (knock on wood) so me and the insurance company are both happy:happy2:

also with the deer population down the hunt is more challenging i just think people in pa were just spoiled at one point in time with all the deer and what fun is it going out and filling 3-5 tags in 2hours like we've done in the past now people have to work for their kills and trust me we work for them it makes it a better sport

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
that antler restriction is only certain counties and that is the state minimum some counties have a 4 point on one side restiction

i see your point like many others whitetail but some time ago when i would hit a deer with my vehicle 2-3 times a year ive decided i would kill as many deer as i could legally and in the last 3 years or so i havent hit one (knock on wood) so me and the insurance company are both happy:happy2:

also with the deer population down the hunt is more challenging i just think people in pa were just spoiled at one point in time with all the deer and what fun is it going out and filling 3-5 tags in 2hours like we've done in the past now people have to work for their kills and trust me we work for them it makes it a better sport

I didn't mention that as it doesn't apply directly to me, but I know the 4 points per side rule is in the Pittsburgh area, and I believe Philly/West Chester.

I can see your perspective as well, (especially after the buck ran into my truck this summer) and that is what makes deer management (particularly urban deer management) very tricky and hard to please everyone.
You mentioned the insurance company...I won't touch that discussion.

Talk about working for your kills, I have put in over 120hrs in a tree in a single archery season (not counting late season) and not filled a tag. Not because I didn't have the opportunity, but because the proper deer didn't present itself.

I don't want an over-population (which leads to over browsing and famine)but I do believe PA should have an abundance of it's state animal. :)

Last edited: