Anybody done an 80% Lower?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Picked up a couple during Black Friday. One polymer, (polymer80) and one forged. Just trying figure how I'm going to do them w/ no drill press, mill, router or dremel.

Thoughts?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
It's an AR15 lower that's 80% complete. You have to "mill" out the fire control pocket of the receiver & drill three of the pin holes.

It's a way to sell a lower w/o papers as it's not counted as a firearm to the ATF. No FFL needed to transfer like a complete lower.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I haven't done one yet but I have a couple on the safe. I bought a jig when I bought them and I have a drill press I just haven't had then time.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I can promise you, you will not be milling an 80% lower with a router or drill press.

I've done several on my mill. With the correct jig and end mills, it is fairly simple. But even with my mill, it is a delicate task. Also, I know in the state of Utah, 80% lowers... once completed, are not legal for resale or legal to transfer period. If you complete it, it's yours.

They are fun to do and if you're wanting that "untraceable" gun that is perfectly legal to own, then this is the way to go. I bought a $1200 grizzly mill. Ended up buying another $1000+ in end mills and collets to have enough selection to properly mill them/stuff.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Hmmm... A buddy has a new mill... Maybe we should play with it some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd love to have a shop full of metal working tools but that ain't happening. I'm leaning trying to do the polymer one with a dremel just to try it and get one under my belt. Then probably trying to get a drill press with an X-Y vice to do the forged lower with.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
If you have a mill, do you need the jig or is it just helpful to have?

Any off the wall endmill sizes needed?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
From what I've seen, you wouldn't have to have the jigs. They make it a great deal easier to locate the drill spots for the hammer pin and safety pins. They also provide a nice template for gouging out the pocket and trigger hole. And lastly, they provide a way to hold the lower nicely.

BUT there are detailed plans are out there with the exact dimensions and everything, so if you can find a way to hold the lower in your mill, I'd think someone with good measuring and machining skills could bang one out easily. I can't remember where but I could sworn I saw someone even had CNC code for the pocket. Might Google that if you have CNC equipment. Then it'd be a cake walk.

Heck, if you have a CNC, you might even be just as well off to get a 10% lower sometimes called a "paperweight" lower and mill it all out yourself?

As for the special bits... it seems most I've watched or kits I've seen utilize a 1/4" and/or 3/8" end mill that is about 3" long. The kicker is most like them to have short tang cutting length so the smooth shaft rides the jig as a guide like a router would. Otherwise no, nothing really special that I've seen.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Nothing so fancy at work, the mill prob predates vietnam :rofl:

But, its more than capable of chewing through some buttery 7075

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
i believe an FFL holder would have to be registered as a manufacturer, rather than just a normal FFL holder in order to complete it for you legally. I may be wrong though.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
i believe an FFL holder would have to be registered as a manufacturer, rather than just a normal FFL holder in order to complete it for you legally. I may be wrong though.

You are correct. A manufacturer also has to put required markings on it which includes their name and a serial number which kind of defeats the idea of what some people buy them for.