Any issues with new GM CUV's?

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Looking at replacing the wifes 2012 Equinox and was looking at the options. So far split between just getting a new Equinox, or going to a Blazer. The current Equinox has been pretty good, but not real happy about the oil consumption of the 2.4L (known issue). I have also had to replace both cam actuators. Brand new Equinox's use a 1.5L turbo engine with a 6 speed transmission. Any GM tech's know of issues with these little engines or transmissions? I think it is the same 6 speed which so far has been good in our 2012 model. I am concerned that the little 1.5 might be working its guts out to move that heavy Equinox. This might mean either head gaskets, or if they have ever fixed the oil consumption issue.

As for the Blazer, I would go ahead and step up to the 3.6L engine. I think that is a decent engine, but again would like to hear from those who either work on them or own a newer one. I know the older ones had some timing chain issues. The main knock on the new Blazer appears to be the new 9 speed transmission. Is this just software tuning? Or are there other issues with it?

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
If you're worried about the 1.5L on new equinox's you can always get one with the 2.0L turbo engine instead. There's not many issues I see with the 9 speed auto in these vehicles. Mostly a couple software updates. Early on there was a valve body spacer plate issue. All corrected to date. Newer 3.6L is super easy to work on. Haven't done any timing chains on any of these newer 3.6L. Maybe a couple front cover or oil pan reseals but that's about it. The 1.5L engine if you research, you will see early on they had issues with detonation causing ring lands to break on the pistons in the Cruze and Malibu's. Have had only 1 do it in an equinox. I believe this has all been corrected and not an issue anymore on newer 1.5L. Have not seen any head gasket issues. And this is all CA vehicles and terrain. The 6T40/45 trans is still a good little trans for what it is. Only thing I don't like from a personal stand point is TCC engagement on a lot of newer vehicles. I personally think we get more Equinox's and Blazer's in here for bluetooth or infotainment concerns rather than any mechanical issues to say they are common.

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Kyle,

Thanks for your reply. It looks like the Equinox only gets the 1.5 turbo engine these days. Are those having any of the high oil consumption issues that the older 2.4 DI engine do? It bugs me that my 2012 with the 2.4 DI engine still uses around 1 quart every ~2000 miles (it has 122,000 miles on it now). Heck, my ol 99 S-10 with a 2.2 (has 190,000 miles on it) doesn't even do that!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Buddy has a ‘19 equinox with the 1.5. Says they are pretty solid and doesn’t see many in his shop. He’s a gm diesel tech at a dealership fwiw.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
No issues in this state (ca) with high oil consumption in the 1.5L DI turbo engine. I really don’t think you’ll have any issues unless you just end up with that one in a thousand vehicle that has a major issue(s). I’d say the most popular complaint with these vehicle‘s are apple car play or android auto concerns.