antifreeze mix

cephillips321

Sep 24, 2014
I am changing antifreeze in my 2006 LBZ, but I can not get all 25 qts out. I only get about 1\2 out by pulling the lower rad hose and opening the air screw. I flushed 3 times so far, but still not draining clear.
My question is what better way to drain the fluid. And if all you can drain is half, should I refill will 100% dex-cool. 12 QTS remaining water and 12 QTS new antifreeze?

Tks all

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
When I did mine I was able to get just about all of it out, flushed with distilled 3 x and used 50% Dex. I've been through some brutal winters and no troubles. All I did was pull the lower hose and the res fill cap and had it pointing downhill.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
How bad is the coolant to begin with, if it still lookds decent then just change it again in a month or so.

Don't mix any other coolant with Dex though obviously

cephillips321

Sep 24, 2014
The coolant was not bad, very orange. I am worried about old coolant going bad because it is years old.

I guess I ll drain/fill until it get clearer.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There are two plugs near the bottom of the block, one on each side. if the LBZs are the same as past generations, they will be painted yellow. pull those plugs and you will get almost all the water out of the system.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
What type of angle? I tried a 4" board under drivers front wheel , but no help.
I had the front tires on the gravel outside of the shop door and the rears in the shop. About a 4 or 5" drop.

There are two plugs near the bottom of the block, one on each side. if the LBZs are the same as past generations, they will be painted yellow. pull those plugs and you will get almost all the water out of the system.
I didn't go looking for the plug(s). Figured I was gonna make enough of a mess without having it spray all over me lying under it...:D

cephillips321

Sep 24, 2014
rad flush done

Well I finally finished the flush and fill. I flushed 4 times with distilled water, but never more than 3 gallons. I raised the rear end, drivers side and did everything but pull the freeze plugs. The flush was almost clear, so I had 3 gallons distilled water in the block, so I added 3 Dex Cool and finish. After running to ops termp a few times it pulled in another 1\2 gallon distilled.

Tks for all the help. Not as easy as an old based...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

hey James, are the plugs you're talking about at the front of the block, in the side or at the back? I found one "plug like" looking bolt head at the bottom in the front of the block that goes through the front engine cover...but nothing's painted on this re-man engine, except for the main bolts, they're all white...

I'm al little miffed that the company that did the re-man for GM used green coolant in their test run on the engine, which I wouldn't have known if I hadn't installed a pinned H2O pump...

I mean, W(hy)TF would they do that when the Duramax comes with Dex?
I'm sure my heater core has Dex in it still and I already had purchased 6G of the Dex-cool to fill the system back up, so I really want to get as much of the green shit out of the block as I can before I install it and hook all the systems back up...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
alright guys, I found them...

For anyone interested, there are two drain plugs in the duramax block, and are located;

1) on the rear of the passenger side behind the starter, about 6" above the oil dipstick tube inlet basically at the 11 o'clock position in relation to the dipstick tune inlet

2) on the front of the drivers side, just below the rear mounting point of the fan shroud bracket at about the 7 o'clock position in relation to the rearward bolt of the fan shroud mounting bracket

I hope that makes sense.
The bolts are 17mm hex heads and only about 1/2" long and torqued down pretty lightly, I'd say maybe 16ft lbs