Another nozzle question

GTA23109a

<-- Prius owners love me
May 9, 2007
Bakersfield, CA
I know you all have hashed out the pros and cons of larger nozzles on the Duramax many times, and I've read a couple of the larger threads, but my question is slightly different. Most of you (ok ALL of you) drag race and/or sled pull your trucks. I use my truck to tow my race cars to the track and as a quick, fun daily driver. As you can see by my sig, I'm using a GT4088R turbo and a canned PPE tune right now. It runs great, but I usually have to turn the setting on the programmer down from "6" to "4" when I tow heavy. The reason I do this is to try to prevent some of the timing rattle and mid-throttle surging I'm getting on the higher HP tunes. I have a set of 20% nozzles that have been sitting in a box on a shelf since I bought my truck, but have never installed. They're still sitting there because I've gotten so much mixed advice and opinion on whether or not I should run them. Ideally, I'd like to be able to make "level 6" HP without the timing rattle and other issues that plague me when I'm dragging 10k lbs around behind me.

Now for the dangerous part:

Opinions? Am I barking up the wrong tree?? I'd love a custom tune anyway, but would I need one for the small injector nozzle increase?? Please help me decide whether to use these poor things or just sell them once and for all!!

Thank you all!!!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I would call Dan @ PPE and ask him
Im sure they could get you a tune for your injectors and 20 over is not that much JMHO

GTA23109a

<-- Prius owners love me
May 9, 2007
Bakersfield, CA
I spoke to Dan at PPE briefly about them. It's been about a year or so. At the time, he advised against me installing them. I suppose I can always ask him again and see if they can help me with a tuning solution to go with them. I was somewhat hoping that such a modest increase in size wouldn't require a tuning change.

If I recall correctly, they are Merchant nozzles.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
I spoke to Dan at PPE briefly about them. It's been about a year or so. At the time, he advised against me installing them. I suppose I can always ask him again and see if they can help me with a tuning solution to go with them. I was somewhat hoping that such a modest increase in size wouldn't require a tuning change.

If I recall correctly, they are Merchant nozzles.

if you run them use efi live i had 20 and the programmer had a bad fuel spike in it.

scramHD

Aug 24, 2008
Tx / MS / AL / MEX / FL
Install the injectors, and get EFI Live. Injectors and EFI made a big difference in my truck. You really cant adjust your trucks needs without EFI. Each truck responds differently to pre programmed tunes/mods.

GTA23109a

<-- Prius owners love me
May 9, 2007
Bakersfield, CA
I'd love to have a custom tune for my truck, but unfortunately, just buying EFI Live doesn't get that accomplished. I'd have to learn how to use it, THEN learn how to tune my truck. I'm afraid I don't have the time or the technical knowledge to do that. That's the only reason I've been running canned tunes for so long. If someone can reccomend a good tuner in SoCal that I could go to, then it might be a different story.