Another Broken Crank

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Well I got 27,000 miles out of my longblock from XCalibur Diesel. I found out today the crank is broke.. 🙈 So that's $6,000 down the tubes plus the $2,000 to have the engines swapped out. Im pretty sick right now

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
That blows. Sorry man, that is a pretty big hit $$$.
I've never heard of XCalibur Diesel, where are they from and what type of warranty do/don't they have?

They may not replace it for you but if you contact them, maybe they can help you out (since you bought it from them).

I've had vendors here treat me very well after the sale when there were issues (even after "warranty").

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
He is in kingsport TN, he said he would warranty the worksmanship for a year I think it was. Im going to call him today and see if he will do anything for me, he isn't a vendor on here. My mechanic has another truck with a 2018 Xcalibur engine build in the shop now with low oil pressure. Im guessing he dosen't know all the little tricks of getting a duramax engine to last... I know broken cranks are random but man 27,000 miles is nothing and it makes you have to wonder if it was a builder error.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I'm in the process of getting a shortblock quoted from All-Season Diesel(Dirty Hooker).. they are reccomending I use a Callies Durastar crank in the new shortblock. I knew they were having issues with them a year or two back, is this something I need to stay away from or is it truly a better than stock crank?

bimmer95

Mar 16, 2019
Morgantown Pennsylvania
I wouldn't put a bit of blame on the builder for that except they should have recommended a new oem or aftermarket crank.Ive seen that happen several times with a used crank.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I wouldn't put a bit of blame on the builder for that except they should have recommended a new oem or aftermarket crank.Ive seen that happen several times with a used crank.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Thanks that actually makes me feel better. Expensive mistake on my part, saved $1700 then but cost me more later.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I can get a brand new lbz or lb7 crank for $1,100 or the Callies Durastar is $1,700. What do yal think?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I agree with others, a broken crank can't necessarily be put on a builder.

IMO I'd get the Callies. They seem to have fixed their thrust issue and are an actual upgrade over the OEM cranks, and since you need a crank anyway (assuming the block may still be usable) it's worth the money.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Okay so callies crank it is, what about an AF cam? I have the stock cam already keyed so I hate to not use it... but Id rather not have any more problems anytime soon so am willing to do whatever is proven to help.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Tony and his guys know what to look for and check on the cranks, if he suggest it, it will be good.

if you plan to use the current block you have, hope/pray you didnt heat up the main journals or twist a bearing. its always been a 50/50 shot the block is still usable for the engines ive done that have broke a crank. You also have a few other things that hopefully check out diameter wise and straightness (depends on how well xcaliber did their machine work).

i personally would rather sink my money in a narrow rod journal crank and not worry about it again.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
James are you saying if DHD checks over a stock crank you wouldnt be aftaid to run a used one again? Or do you just mean he is aware of the past issues with the callies cranks

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James are you saying if DHD checks over a stock crank you wouldnt be aftaid to run a used one again? Or do you just mean he is aware of the past issues with the callies cranks

im saying if they recommend the callies cranks, they did their due diligence to make sure the thrust bearing surface is correct and will hold up.

Reactions: OleBlackyLBZ

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Narrow rod journal billet crank is out of the question for now. My budget is around $8,000 for a shortblock. Im open to any suggestions to save money, I plan to run lbz rods again since they have done me just fine at this 650 range with Marks careful tuning. I can salvage the arp main and head studs and the water pump. Again suggestions are welcome so please send em 👍🏼

Last edited:

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
So let me get this straight.. higher horsepower trucks must beat cranks up a lot worse correct? Because personally I know of 5 or 6 lbz's and lmm's, running around here on stock motors that have anywhere between 250,000 and 450,000 miles on them and most of that has been towing. So it seems like like my chances are pretty high of some decent mileage out of a callies crank and stock cam unless 1200 ft lbs is just really gonna do a number on a crank. And tune 5 rarely gets used...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So let me get this straight.. higher horsepower trucks must beat cranks up a lot worse correct? Because personally I know of 5 or 6 lbz's and lmm's, running around here on stock motors that have anywhere between 250,000 and 450,000 miles on them and most of that has been towing. So it seems like like my chances are pretty high of some decent mileage out of a callies crank and stock cam unless 1200 ft lbs is just really gonna do a number on a crank. And tune 5 rarely gets used...

high hp truck do beat on cranks. as for the bold, that is correct, you just have not eliminated it all. Thats what always troubles me in the back of my mind. i feel you chances are real low with an af cam and callies durastar. but if you start bring the power up, chance of breakage goes up with it. you are also half way there to a socal crank or just 1500 away from a callies narrowed journal.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
All my opinion:
It's just the luck of the draw sometimes.
Do you know if the builder balanced the rebuilt engine?
What balancer did you use?