Another Aussie Noooobee

Jackflash

LMM+ALLISON/NISSAN PATROL
May 17, 2011
Melbourne
The Duratrol Retro-fit ..... long time coming!!

So it begins as an idea......

And very quickly turned into a full rebuild due in part to inspiration I got from a friend on this forum ! Thanx Vince!!!!

Anyhow it starts when we finally decided to crack open the crate.
picture.php

Most of the set up time was removing the entire vehicle harness from the crate and then disconnecting the engine harness!
picture.php
picture.php

Over the next few weeks I spent most nights dismantling the Patrol......

Special attention was paid to the electrical systems and body harness routing.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Once apart work began cleaning, checking and splitting the Duramax from the Allison transmission.

picture.php

Although this was due to the new custom steel sump being fitted, it necessitated the removal of the flexplate ....... thankfully the engine is in great condition being only 30k miles young!!!!

Once mated again with the transmission, it was time to begin the careful lift and 'dry fit' process of alignment and clearance fitments.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As this fit is tight to say the least removal and refitment was repeated several times before a precise fit was reached.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/picture.php?
albumid=657&pictureid=5133

and in again......

picture.php

Finally after checking and rechecking, the engine / trans were eventually seated precisely where it was required.

picture.php

However as I wanted a better than average finish, the whole lot was removed again to address the firewall and trans tunnel insulation and sound deadening....

picture.php

picture.php

Next were the dump pipe, exhaust and fuel delivery system, as advised I chose the Top Dog 165gph liftpump. Pics to come
picture.php

Next a custom linkage to cable shifter set up was fabricated within some pretty tight tolerance's, but with a little patience we made it work......

picture.php

And finally a custom fabricated air-box and hi-flow induction system was fitted, and all the necessary plumbing again was fabricated to suit.

picture.php

picture.php

The end result is one very special tricked out ride..... much time was spent sourcing the right parts for the job, but the result speaks for itself....

This truck returns operating temps of 75 to 80c around town and 80 to 85c on the highway consistently with ambient air temps around 30c. the Trans cooler is larger than the intercooler and was custom fitted to keep trans temps below 80c all the time.... time will tell how it will go with some tunes. But as far as that goes it will need to be built to cope.

picture.php

Next is a custom low profile AC fittings, and a perfect fit oil cooler between the frame rails, a Fluid Damper, some gauges, PPE Stage 5 trans kit, DSP 5, mount the DIC, refit the in car PC running Centrafuse with EFi LIVE loaded.

As she rides right now with EGR and DPF delete, it returns a best figure of 7.2 l100/k. Highway cruising!

I cant tell you how long it took to draw the electrical schematic for this truck, however I can say it was worth every second. :aussie::aussie::aussie::chevy::chevy::chevy:

Anyway I hope you like it, I will keep you posted of the upgrades and improvements.