Another Air Ride?

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
I have caltracs with the overload and one leaf removed possibly going to remove another leaf. I am also going to relocate my shock behind the axel and fabricate a crossbar so both shocks are more vertical. I'm wanting to install air suspension so I can tow or carry a load. From doing some research I came accross where Trent had a similar setup at one time and I wasn't sure what setup would work with what I'm trying to accomplish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Brock

Last edited:

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
I don't think I will have the clearance to mount the bags In the bumpstop location is there other sets that mount outside the frame? I can't seem to find any . Hopefully someone that has tried this setup will chime in.

jet96

Oct 20, 2010
Wideoming
Depending on how much you need to carry, there are some half ton bags that mount outside the frame, may have to do some drilling etc...

GMC04DURAMAX

Aug 18, 2012
Grand Junction, Co
If your that low build a bracket and Weld it to your axle housing and build a bracket off your frame rail you just have to get creative we install air bags all the time on 2wd duallys with no gap between the springs and frame so we have to mount them on the axle housing haven't had any issues that we've heard of

Andrew85

Sep 21, 2009
Just reread your first post. I think most air bags are only made to support an additional 5000lbs. So with your leafs removed you still might be under rated depending on the weight of the load. Have you looked into an air suspension setup instead of leafs with air bags?

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
I also would like some input on how these affect you at the track.. will they hurt you on the track with traction ? or how to prep for them Ect.? I do not have much experience with air bags.

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
A buddy of mine runs airbags for his suspension on an offroad buggy. No leaf springs, it is a triangulated 4 link and I believe he got them off a cement truck. Fully maxed out hight wise, he has about 20 lbs of air in them. He has hooked up to trucks and biggies and used the bags to lift them with no issue.

For your application, you would need to add links I believe. I don't know if you have any form of traction devices installed, but since your doing ok as is, you might be ok.

The airbags ride extremely nice, but have 0 lateral stability. He had to make some massive sway bars to help control the sway. He has them set on switches so he can adjust them on the fly (he can take the scare out of steep climbs, and I like the adjustability.)

Mounting the airbags on the axle tube is a decent location. You don't want them too far inboard, but just inside the frame rails will be fine. Then simply bild a bracket off the frame to match.

I reliese you were probably looking for something more specific, and this information is likely more advanced than you want to go with an air bag system as you want to keep your spings, but figured I would share.

P2180009.JPG

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
or u could just forget about towing with ur current truck just make it a play truck and buy a different one to handle ur towing needs i know its a expensive option but makes life easier when ur trying to juggle tow truck/ play truck

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
I appreciate all comments and inputs . I would love to get another truck justan option right now . I rarely tow anything its just the fact that if u do I will bottom out my bumpstops very easily. I do have caltracs for traction and I will be leaving a couple leafs in place. Maybe I will just buy some 5000 lb bags and see how i like them on and off the track and if it comes down to not likeing them I can always sell them. The biggest concern I had was if they would hurt my traction at the track.

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
I don't know what Caltracs are. I am only speaking of the setup I posted. He doesn't have any axle wrap. I can recommend the bags that I posted, and there are other options available. He got those bags used off a cement truck, and those have an obnoxious rating. He rebuilt the front system about 2 years ago using a set of smaller firestone bags. There are tons of options out for you to choose from if you are interested in doing a few things yourself. Links would be the best bet though for traction if you remove more links.