Allison replacement quote question

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Hello, it's been a while. What is the average cost/quote anyone has received to have an allison1000 5sp replaced at a shop? Mine is $12,0000 which includes a replacement trans, a 700hp build, driveshaft with rebalancing and u-joints.

Thanks

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
I'm no trans builder, but I did just go through this myself.

Some shops only remove and replace. So you're paying book time, 9.5 hours, $200 for ATF, plus the markup/shipping on a trans that comes from a builder on a skid. A local shop quoted almost $11k for a Revmax, installed. A local fleet shop quoted a stock rebuild at $7k with a warranty, so perhaps $11k on a performance build isn't that far out of line on the typical R&R route.

Duramaxtuner has some of the more affordable "shipped in" builds listed on the internets and their shipping fee is reasonable. But then you still need to do/source remove, install, hot flush, and relearn.

IMO, you're still better off finding a builder that can tailor to your use, budget, and future plans. You've got Josh H in TX and Inglewood in LA. Maybe there's someone closer. If you take the truck to a builder you save all the shipping and middle men. Same guy pulls the trans, cleans it, builds it, and puts it back. Same guy corrects it if there are issues after the rebuild. I was fortunate to find three reputable builders within a 1/2 day drive.

In my AO, a stock+ build, suitable for a tune only truck was $4500-5000 installed. Performance builds were $6-7k installed. Billet parts go up from there.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Damn! We need to up our costs on built transmissions then

Unless Evan had a price increase I don’t know about, he’s not even that much for a normal build without billet parts

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Personally we charge $5750 plus tax for a prebuilt uninstalled unit rated to 750whp. We charge $750 to install including fluid, hot flush, and adaptive reset/quick learn.

That's good clutches (18 friction C1, 7 friction C2, 6 friction C3/C4 w/LML springs and pistons, OEM C5), Goerend billet stator billet cover triple disk (R and any extreme clutch converter is an extra charge), deep pan kit, new filters, new bushings, new bearings, new pump, new wire harness, new speed sensor(s), new pressure manifold, new seals/gaskets etc, C3 oiling mod, hyd mods etc.

As for the driveshaft, a good driveshaft around here is ~$1000 for a 5" x 1/8" wall aluminum shaft with 1480 joints/slip yoke. The rear axle yoke can range from ~$150-$500 depending what yoke you decide to use, be it the dodge undamped style or gm damped style. Getting a driveshaft rebalanced and u-joints replaced around here is $200ish last I checked with Spicer lube for life joints.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
Personally we charge $5750 plus tax for a prebuilt uninstalled unit rated to 750whp. We charge $750 to install including fluid, hot flush, and adaptive reset/quick learn.

That's good clutches (18 friction C1, 7 friction C2, 6 friction C3/C4 w/LML springs and pistons, OEM C5), Goerend billet stator billet cover triple disk (R and any extreme clutch converter is an extra charge), deep pan kit, new filters, new bushings, new bearings, new pump, new wire harness, new speed sensor(s), new pressure manifold, new seals/gaskets etc, C3 oiling mod, hyd mods etc.

As for the driveshaft, a good driveshaft around here is ~$1000 for a 5" x 1/8" wall aluminum shaft with 1480 joints/slip yoke. The rear axle yoke can range from ~$150-$500 depending what yoke you decide to use, be it the dodge undamped style or gm damped style. Getting a driveshaft rebalanced and u-joints replaced around here is $200ish last I checked with Spicer lube for life joints.
Im getting my trans built here soon. I have seen a lot of people saying for 750whp you need a Billet C2 Hub and they say to pair that with the Planetary P2 and a sun gear for 750 and add an input shaft. Is that truly necessary? Im stock fuel stock turbo but probably putting a 66 vgt in it soon.

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
Not that he needs my endorsement, but at that price, Brad is including more hardware goodies than anyone I found in my region. If OP can find someone comparable to Brad (quality of work and expertise) doing that grade of build at similar price in his area, he'd be foolish not to consider. Brad would've surely been on my list if closer. I didn't need that level of build but $6500 installed is more than fair.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Im getting my trans built here soon. I have seen a lot of people saying for 750whp you need a Billet C2 Hub and they say to pair that with the Planetary P2 and a sun gear for 750 and add an input shaft. Is that truly necessary? Im stock fuel stock turbo but probably putting a 66 vgt in it soon.
Personally I run OEM hard parts at that HP level. If it's something I know the customer is going to abuse at the top end of the rating I will sleeve the C2 hub. Above that I go to a billet C2/P2 combo with billet shafts. That's worked well for me and I have not had to warranty a unit.

Not that he needs my endorsement, but at that price, Brad is including more hardware goodies than anyone I found in my region. If OP can find someone comparable to Brad (quality of work and expertise) doing that grade of build at similar price in his area, he'd be foolish not to consider. Brad would've surely been on my list if closer. I didn't need that level of build but $6500 installed is more than fair.
Thank you!