Airdog 165 failure

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Does anyone know or has taken apart the pickup assembly on the LMM/LML, if it is the size of the LBZ you're suckin' through a 3/8 hole. Rule of thumb in the hydraulics/fluid industry is the suction side is equal to or greater than (larger is preferred) the supply side for a pump.

Last edited:

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
I have a fass on my 2015 and it's allot noisier than the AD are they just a more reliable pump or what makes them better?

There is current problem with 15' trucks there appears to be 3 different pick up tube assemblys some are very restrictive causing the pump to be very loud...fass is working on a solution. Hopefully it doesn't involve a draw straw..

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
FYI you can buy a new motor from Airdog to put on it for ~$200- and i believe they send you a new warranty paper so in case it fails again.

That's what i did and have got three new motors on warranty because they have failed. SUPER easy to replace the motor.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
MITUSA here. Going strong for several years of DD use. My buddy is on his 3rd AD in the same amount of time.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I sometimes wonder if there was a certain time frame where they had issues or an extrememly large batch of bad motors. seems like some people have them last forever and some don't last very long at all.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I am still running my little AD 100gph pump. It's 7 years old and it's just now starting to be a bit behind on fuel delivery to my 2CP3s. I'd say it's proven itself

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
I sometimes wonder if there was a certain time frame where they had issues or an extrememly large batch of bad motors. seems like some people have them last forever and some don't last very long at all.
They did.
I've talked with them a few times and they had a bad batch of motors where the seal between the gerotor gear and the electric motor would fail causing fuel to get past the seal into the electric motor and burn it up. I sent them a bunch of pictures of pictures to them of the seal i observed in one of my bad motors. They said they were at the time in the process of changing to a different supplier at the time. How true all that is i don't know but it's what i was told.

Here's the pics i took.

Failed shaft seal:

Burned up electrical motor from fuel contamination:

Last edited:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I have a few PM's from a shop about the run of bad motors from AirDog as he spoke to the owner (posted on DP last year), it was a vendor change for a better price for the motors and it bit them in the ass, does that surprise you....??

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
I have a few PM's from a shop about the run of bad motors from AirDog as he spoke to the owner (posted on DP last year), it was a vendor change for a better price for the motors and it bit them in the ass, does that surprise you....??
You get what you pay for ;)

Yeah they told me the same thing... lol

It's all good. The new motor i'm running now from the new batch has been going strong with 0 issues.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
They all have failures, they all have there supporters. I would give the airdog 4g a try. I have had a 165 on my truck for 5 years and it supports 1000hp easily.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
I ran my AD165 into the 8's and will be installing the new 4G on my truck in the next couple days. I have always had great luck with AirDog and their customer support.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
I have installed 3 or 4 of the new 165 4G airdogs they are super quiet as for output they were low hp trucks so i can't say how much better it is over the older stuff