Air bags

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Guess I need to look into these as well. 3" shackles and overloads removed and my current airbags have no room.

Also have a b&w

Bob H

Jet pilot wanna-be trainer
Feb 21, 2015
Norfolk, VA
Thanks for the info on the install and pics Tyler - I have a '03 2500HD lowered about 6" in the back,(front shackle moved/replaced, rear replaced). I'm sitting about 3" from axle housing to frame where the bump stop is installed. I'm about to remove the large overload leaf as the ride is so rough once hitting a bump that engages the overload leaf! I tow so I need something to take the load since it will be gone - this looks like a perfect match. I also have a B&W gooseneck hitch, so good to know it can be made to work. I expect my ride will drop another .75-1" with the overload out - leaving zero room for anything other than a basic bumpstop. I've been searching for something to make this ride better - will report back in a month or so when I get this on!

Bob H

Feb 21, 2015
Norfolk, VA
Thanks for the link back to yours. You have the c-section and then welded it inside, so very different than my plan, but good to know options. The kit gets here tomorrow - and I'll likely install at the same time so I should have an idea of how it works by middle of next week as I want it installed before I go pick up my new-to-me enclosed trailer I just bought.

solidrunner

Oct 19, 2015
Seatac, WA
There is no c-notch, those are the rails for the B&W Turnover Ball. The notch looking things are the bag mounts, it still has a full frame. Not for long though. There is only about 1.5" between the axle pad and the bump stop, I'm going to notch it in preparation for doing a 4 link and air ride in the rear.

Bob H

Feb 21, 2015
Norfolk, VA
So I'm tackling it tonight. Just removed my overload leaf, re-did the leaf centering pin with the 4 remaining leafs,(had to put some old ARP washers I had on it as the threads run out). Yes, I could have waited and bought a new leaf bolt, but mine were in good shape and I didn't feel like waiting several days to get it back on the road.
Working the upper mount installation - your right Tyler, (nvrplzd), they aren't plug-n-play in any way on the upper mount esp. w/ a B&W hitch.
Looks like I'll have to drill quite a few holes and my B&W is definitely in the way.
Also, did you put the top mount parallel to the frame? Hard to tell from the picture, but the instructions seem to indicate such. I ask b/c with the setup nut, it parallels the leaf at full load - wasn't sure yours or anyone else's thoughts. Pictures would obviously help, but I'm right in the middle and hoping to move forward tonight or tomorrow.

Bob H

Feb 21, 2015
Norfolk, VA
So no pics right now - but a brief follow up.
First - what a WORLD of difference in how it rides!
So install - fairly straight forward, made a little more challenging b/c mine is so low to the frame,(about 2" from axle to frame), so that coupled with the B&W hitch meant drilling 4 holes per side for the upper mount. Ended up forward of the axle as Tyler did.
Used the wirelessone compressor kit. Mounted on the spare tire carrier above the tire and out of the way. The wireless controller is money - if I thought I was blinding others, just increase the pressure on the roll. Waaay cool.
In short, one of the best mods I've done to the truck. Ride up here on these atrotious roads was immediately substantially better by an order of magnitude. Picked up a 24' enclosed trailer in Syracuse and drove back last night, (~330 miles and some bad roads), huge difference as I'm not sitting on the overload and just into the stiff bumpers.
I would highly recommend this to anyone.
Removing the overload leaf dropped the truck about 1". With the 10 psi you have to maintain in the bags - that got back about 0.5" of that loss compared to no air in the bags.
The bags I have are rated for about 800lbs per side. You can get a nearly identical bag that will do just over 1000lbs and if you have the room - you can get bags that will do up to 2000lbs plus per side,(needs 6.5" dia room vs. about 5" dia room for the bag I have and I'm close with my dodge rims that are high pos. offset).
Note about me using the dodge rims on the rear - I had to trim the plastic upper mount for the bag - no structural impact, but it hit the tire. If I had GM rims or spaced the rears out,(or aftermarket that aren't so positively offset), it wouldn't be an issue, but worth noting.
Last, best I was able to determine, the proper mounting of the upper mount is parallel to the leaf spring, not parallel to the frame. Keep the bag operating in a straight line.
I'll eventually get pics, but that should sum up my experience with the slamair kit.