LLY: Ahhhh....Motor Frustration!

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Well, guys I'm more frustrated with myself not knowing more than the Truck having the problems. I have been thinking I have blown head gaskets for weeks due to the solid feeling upper rad. hose. So I have been reading/posting about doing head studs and head gaskets. during this reading I read something about someone having thier truck eating oil. So I start looking around the truck today and notice two oil spots on the ground at the rear of the motor. I pull the oil dip stick to see it only being half full (less than 1500 miles on oil change) and it having a slight green color. Doesn't really smell like just oil either. So, my question is do i have more than one problem? or could this be something like a rear seal? What else can I be looking at? Please help!

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Crankcase half full? That wont even registrr on the. Dipstick.

Blown hg can bleed coolant into the cc as well.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Crankcase half full? That wont even registrr on the. Dipstick.

Blown hg can bleed coolant into the cc as well.

The end of the dipstick half way between "A and F"

If there was coolant in the CC when I changed the oil wouldn't I have seen like a foamy substance with it?

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Depends how long its been in there. The dipatick markers indicate one-two quarts low when not showin oil on it.

Coolant reservoir habe black crap in it?

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
If you dont have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant taank, seems umlikely its a hg. Sutr sogns of a hg are those mentioned. If theres no foreign material in eithir of those then the hg is still doin its job. Only other hg issue is blown to the outside pf the block in which case you'll see ebidence of it on the block.

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
Your not losing coolant are you???you said your loosing oil... if it is that low on the stick thats at least 3 qts low right:confused: After 1500 miles??? If its not smoking or burning it it has to be leaking it I would think it would be all over the bellhousing, tranny pan and everything if its that bad!

Last edited:

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
If you dont have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant taank, seems umlikely its a hg. Sutr sogns of a hg are those mentioned. If theres no foreign material in eithir of those then the hg is still doin its job. Only other hg issue is blown to the outside pf the block in which case you'll see ebidence of it on the block.

You are understanding my frustration. Let me ask this, could an injector problem show some of these symptoms? could the funny smell/color in the oil be fuel? Im just trying to be absolutely sure there is a head gasket issue before spending the time and money on the repair.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Your not losing coolant are you???you said your loosing oil... if it is that low on the stick thats at least 3 qts low right:confused: After 1500 miles??? If its not smoking or burning it it has to be leaking it I would think it would be all over the bellhousing, tranny pan and everything if its that bad!

I am just now noticing/watching the oil level as I just found today oil drops under the truck near the oil drain plug. The upper rad hose was noticed a few weeks ago it was staying pressurized once the truck was cooled down. I'm just really confused as to what is going on with my truck. I'm sure theres something wrong, just don't know where and/or what excatly. I might be chasing more than one problem.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
You are understanding my frustration. Let me ask this, could an injector problem show some of these symptoms? could the funny smell/color in the oil be fuel? Im just trying to be absolutely sure there is a head gasket issue before spending the time and money on the repair.

Injector could be leaking fuel into the cc as well as pressurizing the cooling system. My old truck showed signs of both when the injectors failed, but that was an lb7. Not sure if an lly wpuld do that.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Injector could be leaking fuel into the cc as well as pressurizing the cooling system. My old truck showed signs of both when the injectors failed, but that was an lb7. Not sure if an lly wpuld do that.

Nope, LLY won't do that. The LB7's where inside the valve cover and had "Injector cups" that could have issues. The LLY's don't have Injector cups and the inejctors aren't under the valve covers, so if one where to start leaking, it would basically run down the head/block.

KrazyKid, is the upper hose still rock hard after it's been sitting and cooled off(at least over night)? Mine gets hard when it's hot (seems harder than the upper hose on my car when hot), but after sitting overnight I can squeeze it all the way with two fingers.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Nope, LLY won't do that. The LB7's where inside the valve cover and had "Injector cups" that could have issues. The LLY's don't have Injector cups and the inejctors aren't under the valve covers, so if one where to start leaking, it would basically run down the head/block.

KrazyKid, is the upper hose still rock hard after it's been sitting and cooled off(at least over night)? Mine gets hard when it's hot (seems harder than the upper hose on my car when hot), but after sitting overnight I can squeeze it all the way with two fingers.

I would say yes, however there is a VERY slight give. But overall I would call it rock hard.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas

Kinda what I figured. Thanks

In that case, I'm out of ideas.

BTW if fuel is in the crankcase, it'll be hard to see on the dipstick..... Drip some on a paper towel and watch what happens. If it seperates into two different colored rings than you have another fluid (possibly fuel) in the oil. It will have a pretty strong diesel smell if thats the case.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, if the hose is still rock hard after sitting for a while (at least over night), then I'd say there probably is a headgasket problem. If there's fuel in the oil, the only place it can come from on the LLY's (AFAIK) is the CP3.