Advise on most streetable dual disc clutch?

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Hey guys any of you have experience with the latest dual disc offerings from south bend or others?

When i stand on it going down the road in higher gears with my organic single disc south bend its a toss up as to wether the clutch will slip or hold .its a year old and I've never dumped the clutch

I would like to be able to back a trailer in 2hi?

Thanks!

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
South bend assures me their organic dual disc is smooth engagement?

And before you berate me on the single disc let me say the truck just keeps growing. Hell today i was looking at a used twin turbo setup and had to tell myself i in no way want to pay for a built motor right now!

If it helps with advise my truck will break the tires loose for 20ft at 50mph if i go around a slight corner to get some body roll with the boost built up? A few buddies are looking into duramaxes after going for a ride:D

Last edited:

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
I had a comp dual ceramic with a sprung hub before the built motor and it was great even when taking off with a 48' trailer. It was a little bouncy backing up with a trailer though. Ive got a sintered iron triple disc now and its definitely not ideal for hauling anything but I still make it work. Not uncommon to haul 15k lbs across the state with it. If you plan on adding power to the truck I would lean towards the ceramic or one of their dual friction material clutches.

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Thanks for sharing the advise and experience. Southbend told me to get the dual friction too. I'm just a little leary as the single disc could be "bouncy" backing up too. Maybe a bad clutch from the get go?

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
Ive got merchant mounts in my truck as well, I have heard that adding traction bars helps to prevent it from bouncing but I haven't put them on my truck yet.

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
I've been thinking about trying the lift leaf pack from my parts truck to get rid of my 3" blocks.that might help a bit. They aren't more thinner leaves so it probably rides rougher though.i think just an add a leaf.

Getting the parts to make some traction bars are on the to do list as well.it'll have to wait until the trans is rebuilt and a clutch gets sorted out though. I had a roll pin fall out of the linkage part with a cup for the shift stub. It was a bit noisy anyway so rebuild time. Thankfully i made it 20 miles home stuck in 4th!

Last edited:

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
Will they build a triple disk with a lighter plate load and organic material?

Im sure they will, mine has a 3600lb plate. I could have got it with a 3200, 3400 or a 3800 as well. The problem with a triple disc is you cant get it with a sprung center hub so you end up with a lot more chatter and bounce when youre trying to let it out slow. There isn't room for the sprung center hubs in a triple disc.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Im sure they will, mine has a 3600lb plate. I could have got it with a 3200, 3400 or a 3800 as well. The problem with a triple disc is you cant get it with a sprung center hub so you end up with a lot more chatter and bounce when youre trying to let it out slow. There isn't room for the sprung center hubs in a triple disc.

Ah yes. Solid hubs are not fun

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I've been thinking about trying the lift leaf pack from my parts truck to get rid of my 3" blocks.that might help a bit. They aren't more thinner leaves so it probably rides rougher though.i think just an add a leaf.

Getting the parts to make some traction bars are on the to do list as well.it'll have to wait until the trans is rebuilt and a clutch gets sorted out though. I had a roll pin fall out of the linkage part with a cup for the shift stub. It was a bit noisy anyway so rebuild time. Thankfully i made it 20 miles home stuck in 4th!

Dealer makes a mini pack that lifts it around 1 1/2-2” depending on how many leafs you use. Replaces the factory overload and is supposed to ride a lot smoother.

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
So i chickened out and got the organic dual disc. Whenever the transmission shop gets the zf rebuilt I'll let you guys know how it works out?i must be getting old!when i was younger i would have tried to rebuild it myself and got the dual friction.now i don't want to spill my coffee!

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Finally got the zf back with a new gm input shaft,3-4 slider, and bearings/syncros. Ran into a snag putting the clutch in though. There are no dowel pins to locate the pressure plate on the flywheel like my single disc south bend had and every other clutch I've installed? Lots of slop with just the bolts.

Now i wish I'd messed with it when it showed up and found the problem weeks ago.darn i wanted to be testing it out tomorrow!gotta wait til monday to figure it out.oh well

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Sorry to be late on the update.i called south bend and they said no dowels on their dual disc so i just centered it as well as i could.
It engages smooth if i hold the brake but the truck shudders taking off most times.south bend told me to use more rpms taking off but its a diesel?i don't need the gas pedal taking off most times.3" blocks and 35's might be part of the problem.there are other symptoms of it needing traction bars. When it gets a new leaf pack without blocks and traction bars I'll update again

Gear Jammer

Sep 25, 2019
I'm running the same clutch with the same size lift and tires, mine shudders on take off also, most of the time it's not much though. If I slip the clutch some taking off it's a lot smoother, but I hate driving a manual that way.

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Thanks for your feedback!I got some traction bars to see if it will help but haven't had the time to weld them in. But I'm used to it now.its my passengers who think somethings broken

Edit: i like your truck!

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I'm running the same clutch with the same size lift and tires, mine shudders on take off also, most of the time it's not much though. If I slip the clutch some taking off it's a lot smoother, but I hate driving a manual that way.

Thanks for your feedback!I got some traction bars to see if it will help but haven't had the time to weld them in. But I'm used to it now.its my passengers who think somethings broken

Edit: i like your truck!

Dang, that's not what I wanted to hear ... I haven't finished getting mine back together yet, but my lady is already rolling her eyes at the truck and she hasn't even rid in it yet. That's not going to help my case.

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Dang, that's not what I wanted to hear ... I haven't finished getting mine back together yet, but my lady is already rolling her eyes at the truck and she hasn't even rid in it yet. That's not going to help my case.
my old lady can drive it,its ok. She giggles every time she tries to get in with no side steps:thumb: think I'll keep her for a while. I just wish she wouldn't scream when the tires break loose at freeway speeds:D

The shudder isn't noticeable 80% of the time.