LB7: advise on LB7 engine build

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
Hello to all on this Forum. i have been following this forum and doing alot of reading and research. I am currently doing a complete overhaul on my frame and suspension on my 02 CCSB. I have the motor out due too blown head gaskets too,
I plan on running a S475 over stock IHI turbo with carrillo rods, keyed cam and crank, ARP main and head studs, 45% over injectors and LBZ pump and EFI Live to start. Then maybe add dual fueler later on to top out the S475 over IHI set up.. my goal is to get 700-725 HP. From what i read this could possibly be done with the dual fuler set up. SO, still in question is the stock balancer fine or is it worth the $420 ATI balancer? and will i be OK with the stock Cut LB7 Pistons? how about the Hamilton valve spring? are they worth getting for this combo? I know they make a big difference with the BIG turbos, just wondering on this set up

thanks

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Hello to all on this Forum. i have been following this forum and doing alot of reading and research. I am currently doing a complete overhaul on my frame and suspension on my 02 CCSB. I have the motor out due too blown head gaskets too,
I plan on running a S475 over stock IHI turbo with carrillo rods, keyed cam and crank, ARP main and head studs, 45% over injectors and LBZ pump and EFI Live to start. Then maybe add dual fueler later on to top out the S475 over IHI set up.. my goal is to get 700-725 HP. From what i read this could possibly be done with the dual fuler set up. SO, still in question is the stock balancer fine or is it worth the $420 ATI balancer? and will i be OK with the stock Cut LB7 Pistons? how about the Hamilton valve spring? are they worth getting for this combo? I know they make a big difference with the BIG turbos, just wondering on this set up

thanks

I would say in my opinion that the ATI is good insurance, and will benefit your motor in more ways then one. Pretty sure someone else with more info can elaborate exactly. I would have your pistons de-lipped and run them with your setup Hamilton springs seem to be put in builds, if you can swing the cash, or run a much higher boost level. I would also throw a set of Merchant push rods in it as well. That being said It really come down to how much you can afford to spend.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The ATI damper (and SoCal damper, they are the same thing) are a press fit instead of slip fit. This makes it easier to keep the balancer attached to the crank, and takes some stress off the key and keyway.

My brother spun his stock damper off the crank at ~500 HP. I was at ~600 HP for a few months before I started my current build, and my damper was halfway through the pin, about to let go.

The $420 is well worth it. I am amazed the stock damper stays on at stock power levels after looking at the lame excuse for a "key" it uses (a tiny dowel pin!!!). Especially when you consider most gas motors ship with press-fit dampers from the factory.

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
yes i see the reason to have one of theese press Fit dampers. i just see alot of builds that do not run them on here. i will be keying the crank and can no matter what. my cam pin was in bad shape when i disassembled the motor. i will post a pic in the near future on that issue. as for the pistons, in the middle with delipping my LB7 slugs or buuying new Mahle's.?? i have machine shop in my garage so i am cutting the keyways this weekend on the cam and crank. i bought a .1875 radius cutter for the lathe to cut the pistond too. just wondering who has had good luck running these cut pistons and who hasn't?

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Brian aka honda rider has them in his standard cab that has made a little over 1000 rwhp, and also gone 10.50. Pretty sure he is going for 9s on that same motor. Please comment if not. How many miles on your current pistons?

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
i have 120K on these pistons. i cant post any pics yet. it is not allowing me to . they look really good though. i cleaned them with very minimal effort motor was very clean inside,,