911 Help!!!

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
It is -3* here and I have no heat!!!! Coolant is full, winter front is on, and I have been plugging in the block heater. The heat will come and go, I am assuming this is a thermostat issue but I was kinda hoping someone with more experience would know better.

Temps are about 170 and will stay there or a little colder when I have no heat, when the heat is working temps are about 190-210. Could it be anything else? If it is the thermostat does anyone have any tips on how to replace it? TIA -Jeff

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
It is -3* here and I have no heat!!!! Coolant is full, winter front is on, and I have been plugging in the block heater. The heat will come and go, I am assuming this is a thermostat issue but I was kinda hoping someone with more experience would know better.

Temps are about 170 and will stay there or a little colder when I have no heat, when the heat is working temps are about 190-210. Could it be anything else? If it is the thermostat does anyone have any tips on how to replace it? TIA -Jeff

Water pump.

jsaddiction

Dec 21, 2008
Thermostats usually are either stuck open or stuck closed. Not very often do they give those types of symtoms. You might want to flush your coolant. When the heat is "not working" do you still get air blowing?

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
why do you think it is that?

Well be more detailed, Is it just when the temperature fluctuates? Or when the truck comes down on rpms or to an idle that the heater starts blowing cold? Thats what my truck is doing now, when it comes to an idle it starts blowing cold.

Rob

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
i just got back from about an hour drive, about 30 minutes into it the temp was still not registering, then the low coolant light came on and the temps bumped up to ~185 and the heat kicked in. shut the truck off for about 20 minutes, then came back and the coolant light was still on but I had heat. this is driving me freakin crazy!!!!!

All the functions seem to work (recirc. etc...) except for the AC, it still wont turn on, is that because it is soo cold out??

When the heat is working it comes out of all the vents and blows as hot as ever, it cools of just a bit at idle but is still warm. -Jeff

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
i just got back from about an hour drive, about 30 minutes into it the temp was still not registering, then the low coolant light came on and the temps bumped up to ~185 and the heat kicked in. shut the truck off for about 20 minutes, then came back and the coolant light was still on but I had heat. this is driving me freakin crazy!!!!!

All the functions seem to work (recirc. etc...) except for the AC, it still wont turn on, is that because it is soo cold out??

When the heat is working it comes out of all the vents and blows as hot as ever, it cools of just a bit at idle but is still warm. -Jeff

Check your upper anti freeze hose, is it hard? If so could be a blown headgasket or a bad water pump, they will both pressurize the system, but you heater not working sounds like a water pump to me. JMO, ive been wrong before. :D

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa

Low coolant will cause intermittent heat. You said it was full, but later on you said the light came on. When the light was on was the coolant low?

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
I just went for another drive, the coolant was low so I put some more in, drove about 10 min. and got heat, shut the truck off, about 5 min. then drove a bit more and got heat about 5 min. later. the light is not on as of right now and I have heat. My question is why would I lose coolant then have the heat come on??

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I just went for another drive, the coolant was low so I put some more in, drove about 10 min. and got heat, shut the truck off, about 5 min. then drove a bit more and got heat about 5 min. later. the light is not on as of right now and I have heat. My question is why would I lose coolant then have the heat come on??

Is your system pressurized?

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I run a winter front when the temp is in the 20s or colder, you may want to get one. It will help keep your temperature up.

It does sound like you may be loosing coolant though, might want to check on that.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
If the coolant is hot it will do that also. Let the truck sit for a while, then see if it is pressurized still.

It could be air in the system, have you had the turbo off lately or any coolant lines disconnected? Mine was doing the same thing a few weeks ago.