86 cherokee duramax swap

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
A 3/4 ton Dana 44 is not any stronger than a half ton axle it just has 8 lugs instead of 5 or 6

If you can afford to swap in a duramax you can afford a Dana 60 & 14 bolt for it.

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
i realize what the dana 44 is and i know that it is not as strong as newer axles are but im just sreaming right now and what really got me thinkin about doin the swap is the local salvage yards out here hav dozens of them in the yards and they sell cheap because most people here are cummins guys. i actually have started thinking about going to the 6.2 which i know will bolt right in place of this 350 with a couple mew motor mounts and some rework in the inner fenders id still like to go modern though

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i realize what the dana 44 is and i know that it is not as strong as newer axles are but im just sreaming right now and what really got me thinkin about doin the swap is the local salvage yards out here hav dozens of them in the yards and they sell cheap because most people here are cummins guys. i actually have started thinking about going to the 6.2 which i know will bolt right in place of this 350 with a couple mew motor mounts and some rework in the inner fenders id still like to go modern though

With a 6.2, your 3 speed will hold up better and that front axle will hold up better. its also much easier to drop in, no rats nest of electronics. Puttin a trubo on one of them wakes them up a decent amount too. its by no means a duramax, power wise but for what you have, simplicity, and cheap its a good route. if you have your heart set on a dmax, then by all means do it, ill even help if possible. Your drivetrain is not as strong as what your first post talked about, thats the reason i say its not a good idea. let alone finding/buying a clutch setup for that 3 speed to a dmax.

86cherokeek20

May 24, 2011
hot springs SD
ok well yeah and simplicity in the hills is amazing the only thing that really makes me want the duramax is power reliability and availability to get salvage parts. not alot of people around here in good old SD dont like the old diesels for the cold id like to take a look around for a 6.2 or i think its the 6.5? and see whats here but if not and i do go with duramax i want to find the allison auto but for the front and back axles what should i go with and the gears i should use since i plan on using 37x12.50s

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Found this outfit that does Cummins 4BT conversions and gives advice Leid Diesel Service in Newville PA. I don't have the phone or website but read about them on a Jeep site noting them because I want to do a 4BT/Wrangler and twin turbo/better injectors changeovers. Maybe they can talk you along if you want to call them.

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
First off the back of a Duramax where the bell housing bolts up is not the same as a SBC which is what your saginaw has. Besides that, your saginaw most likely will not handle the power/torque produced by the Dmax. Not to deture you from your project, just trying to help with some more information. I would suggest finding a Dmax with the ZF-6 (manual) transmission. You would also most likely need a body lift if you don't already have one.

learn something new everyday a body lift in a jeep thats hilarious:spit:

DieselS10

May 12, 2009
Oklahoma
I ran a turboed '94 6.5/4L80e in my S10 for years. It was quicker accelerating with the 6.5 than with the tbi 350 it replaced even though it gained 1500lbs with the upgrade to 1 tons with the diesel swap. I've since pulled the 6.5 for a D-max, but for drivability and fun factor I would much rather have stayed with the 6.5 over the small block.

There are some things that concern me about your ideas though. The main one being the unibody vehicle. I also agree that you will be playing with fire with your current axles. One other thing that you may want to consider is the shear size of the 6.2/6.5 and the Duramax, they are HUGE compared to a sbc, I have comparison pics if you'd like to see them. It will also be difficult to get a large enough radiator in the Jeep, much less an intercooler. Something to consider any time you are going from a gasser to a large diesel is that nearly eveything in the entire vehicle has to be modified to accomidate the extra weight, torque and cooling needs, ask me how I know, lol.

Good luck with which ever route you decide to go with and be sure to keep us posted.