69 Duramax C-10 Is Finally Rolling

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Those are Wagler covers that my friend Chad Mcreary at Copperhead Graphics sprayed over the powder coating. Josh is right of course, Brett built those trailing arms and that whole frame, except for the front clip, came out from under his truck. He assured me it would hook, so I bought the same shocks he had on it. That is an '80 4wd short bed with 59000 miles on it we bought with 7500 miles on it in '81. It is a custom deluxe that came with Silverado trim on it and I added the square headlight chrome grill in it years ago. It has a Slimline cover over the bed that has kept the bed in good shape but needs some paint work done. They were made near by in Conover I think and everybody around here had one to keep their buddies from borrowing their trucks to haul random crap in. There's a 70 SS Nova beside it my brother bought new, an 85 SS Monte Carlo under that with 60000 on it, beside that is a 69 Pace Car Camaro big block, four speed,and a '74 Z28 beside that I bought when I was fifteen with 49000 on it. There is a '72 factory big block short bed under the '80, a '94 Mastercraft 205 with an LT-1 with 300 hrs on it is sitting there and my LBZ in front of it. Unfortunately, I have spent a whole lot of what I've made in my lifetime on vehicles. You younger guys be smarter than me and spend yours on something else or save it. I have had a pretty good time though.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Wow What a nice truck. You did a excellent detailed job there. I’m just curious if you used an LBZ as i cant see a FICM.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
The Nova was bought new by my brother and was yellow originally and came with a 350-300 with a M21 Muncie four speed. He slung a rod through the original block, but he still has it, and I put a pretty warm 400 small block in it when I got it. I fixed my daughter a orange one with a black vinyl top on it with a 400 and M-22. It's in my basement garage and was her first car. It was bought new in Mount Airy. I've got a '67 Chevelle I gave $300 bucks for when I was 13, and spent every dime I could make on it at that time. I'm going to redo it as soon as I can recover from the lick I've taken on this '69. Sorry to be so long-winded.

Reactions: 77cruiser

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
It is an LGH out of an ambulance with some Wagler head work to take LBZ injectors and has an LBZ ecm controlling it. Thanks to everybody and I appreciate this forum for putting up with dummies like me asking stupid questions to try to learn more about these amazing Duramaxes. The younger guys may not remember the 5.7's,and the 6.2's, but if any of you guys drove one of them, you would agree how truly amazing these Duramaxes are.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
You're welcome here anytime you're around. I asked Landon if you were getting along ok. I would love to have your powerplant under the hood of my old truck.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I am well, getting settled way over here in Idaho. The lmm is a fun setup, people told me it would never spool...... ask Landon, it’s straight rude lol.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Chris, Landon told me it was a nasty ride. I've always loved that truck, even when it was apart, that just gave me a chance to look it over real good. When it gets back this way, I need a good, neck-snapping ride. If you get a chance, send me a few pics so I can show my grandson what a real truck looks like. zakkb787, I have hauled lumber all around your old stomping grounds, especially when the old furniture factories were up and running. One of my kids went to Lenoir Rhyne, and if you lived near 18,90,40,421, or 16, I've probably drove by your old house. I don't know where you live now, but you left God's Country to get there. Mount Airy ain't too bad either, but I haven't been too many places far from here.

Reactions: moparkxracer

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
A lot of folks from the bigger northern cities have moved down here and the houses that people have for sale aren't on the market very long and they get whatever they ask for them. Some of those folks talk to others in a tone and with language that sometimes don't work out well for them. It sometimes takes a little while for them to get used to us slower country folk. zakkb787, you must have decided to reverse that idea. I hope it works out well for you.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
It's been a while since I've been on this thread, but I've had a few health problems during and after the stupid Chinese manufactured Covid to deal with. I had to rework the front suspension under my truck because it ripped the coilover mounts loose because the shocks were bottoming out and it rides so much better with shock travel. I plan on mounting my slicks tomorrow and making a pass or two tomorrow night. If it turns a pretty good time I will report in, and if not, I will tuck my tail and keep quiet. Thanks.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Well, I enjoyed a complete crap show. I made three passes and it completely falls on its nose out of the hole, but pulls hard after a third of the track is already covered. The third pass I tried to get more boost and it pushed through the brakes, it pulled hard to the right and I had to drive it some. I came back to the trailer and the right front wheel came off and wedged into the inner fender due to a break in the front tube in the lower a arm, a bent back tube, and a sheared upper ball joint. We spent another couple hours waiting on a welder to arrive to weld a splint on the a arm and we seated the ball joint back with a jack and strapped it together with a ratchet strap so we could load it. The front end is just too light weight for that Duramax added pounds. The a frames are built out of thin tubing that look pretty decent but not functional at all. I'm about sick of paying for crappy work. It's already at Matt's shop for a makeover under the front, and then some more tuning to cure the dead starts. When I get a decent pass I'll try to post it. Please bear with me because everything I touch turns to crap.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hey. at least the arm didnt let go down the track. We'd be talking about a wrecked truck if that happened. Dont get frustrated, shit happens.....especially when you're doing something new like this. Everything will turn out.....

Reactions: Leadfoot

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
The more I think about it, when I was standing on the brakes so hard trying to build boost, that may be when the failure started because it pulled to the right out of the hole. Just some thin pipe for the a arms is unacceptable. I paid for a custom built heavy duty front end that would hold up to the extra weight and torque of that Duramax. My wife inquired if I was about tired of messing with that thing. If she had a clue to what I have spent on it, I would probably be living in an Army surplus pup tent in the back yard.