69 Duramax C-10 Is Finally Rolling

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
This project needs paint touch up but I can finally drive it. Brett Deutsch posted some pics for me a while back, and I thank him for it. I have attached a few pics I hope, if I did it right. It is an absolute blast to drive, and I want to thank everyone for advice and work on the project. My Dad bought it new for $2820.00, ( $20.00 for a spotlight that I couldn't bring myself to put back on), and he got to ride in it again at 93. Myself and my siblings learned to drive in it, and it was used everyday at our sawmill for a long time. It has part of the frame under it out of Brett's truck before he started going stupid fast, and I plan on running it some soon. One pic is of my Dad, one of my Dad and myself, and one of both of us and my fourteen year old grandson who has helped me a lot with it. I think I can take a few more pics and post them now if anybody cares to see them, or you can look at Brett's posts. An LS would have been so much easier, but I really like the Duramaxes.

untitled1.pnguntitled2.pnguntitled3.png

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Now this is cool! I love a 69 fleetside c10! My dad has one in the shop somewhere I have thought about throwing my racetruck engine and transmission into. Congrats!

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Thanks. Matt Goins ,my neighbor practically, built the rollcage, the intercooler, and the twin stainless 3.5" exhaust. We thought raising the bed floor 4" would be sufficient but he had to use some oval turns over the frame rails to turn down behind the rear wheels. I should just take the bed off to show his welds. He's a talented young man. Diesel Addiction built the billet six speed with Suncoast parts, and assembled the ambulance junkyard engine, with some Wagler head work, and S and S 12mm pump and injectors. It has a Stainless Diesel five blade turbo, and Profab manifolds and up pipes. It weighs 4760 lbs with a quarter tank of fuel, and the back end gets pretty light when that single lights. It puffs a little when you first gas on it a little and cleans up real nice, but it flips folks out and one guy asked at the stoplight if it was flooding that bad. I told him I forgot I had the choke pulled out. It's a ton of fun to drive. I can't wait to make a pass or two with it. I have already tried some 14-32 slicks on it to check for fitment during mock up and I put 5/8 studs in the rear axles to keep from ripping those out.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Who is Matt Goins on here? I know Ive heard that name before...

That is one heck of a nice truck. Congrats.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Matt works at an LS performance shop and has an LS powered 87 or so Camaro called the Stepchild that is stupid fast on 10.5 slicks. I'll try to get a video sometime soon. Thanks for the compliments. I've got to figure out how to adjust the front and rear shocks because the rear tires chatter when you get on it, so I'm thinking I can stiffen the rebound and maybe it will plant the rear wheels. I've never had double adjustable coilovers before, so I'm anticipating some trial and error.

mr450kawman

Mar 15, 2020
Beautiful truck. Cool build. I'm glad your Dad got to cruise in it. I had a 1970 3/4 ton long bed 4x4 years ago. I have always liked that body style.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Thanks. They drive pretty good too, and I've always liked that bodystyle also. I have two more white 72's with shortbed, a/c, and factory big blocks that were bought new here in town. I 've had them for twenty five years or so, and I remember seeing them when they were new.

Reactions: SmokeShow

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
~
~
~
~

~

Here's a few pics of my project. I tried to post a video but for some reason I was unsuccessful. I just ordered some 15" Weld Beadlocks for some slicks and hopefully I can make a pass or two. The bed floor has been raised four inches and the boxes widened for the twelve inch rear wheels and fourteens for my slicks. Line lock, cruise, and tap shifter all work and are on a panel that hides when you aren't driving. Vintage air, decent sound system, and leather seat with houndstooth inserts with a factory tilt are inside. It has a hidden 2" receiver hitch, filled stake pockets, and fuel fill behind the drivers side rear bedside light.
Budnik 20's and dual stainless 3.5" exhaust, and double adjustable coilovers on all four corners.