68mmstg2r - taming the f16 on kill sound

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I enjoyed the straight pipe sound briefly, but it became a bit much for me, the neighborhood, passing aircraft, rock concerts across the bridge, etc. haha

I took a little time and I have kept some of the great sound, and tamed the rest. I know some that dd their rigs are apprehensive about the R for noise reasons, so I'm sharing a video to show that you CAN have your cake and eat it too. This setup is very pleasing in the cab!!

What I did/have:
3" downpipe
Injen Evo large airbox
4" mbrb exhaust with muffler
5" tip
Small fte resonator
Reinstalled oem air intake resonator box

This morning I started her and did a shut off and restart to show how mild the vane sweep whistle is now.

If you worried about noise - don't! This is a great setup if you want mild sound and tons moar powaaaaaa

Ok vid not uploading. Missing security token error on this site?! I'll upload to YouTube and link back ASAP.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
My wife's has a 4" Magnaflow system with their muffler and it is very quiet compared to a straight pipe version, I find it to be the perfect level of sound. Kyle's recommendation is the best one though!:thumb:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I found that my profab manifolds and up pipes with the mbrp dp and the 5" MBRP dumped with a muffler is very quiet. Don't get me wrong she still screams but it idles alot lower of a tone. Neighbors don't complain much yet, we will see what they think in winter when it's on high idle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho
I'm trying to figure out a muffler for my STG2R. I want it to sound aggressive and don't mind it being on the louder side, but the 3"DP and 5" straight pipe is getting to be a bit much. I drive around 500 miles a week for work and I'm constantly on the phone.

I'm leaning towards a 5" plain jane MBRP but I'm still unsure... Maybe an MBRP "quiet tone"?

Any suggestions or tips?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I just made it home from a 7+hr ride; family vacation. This is a great setup for my needs. To be clear though - this is still a loud MF'er outside to the general public :) But with the windows up, she's a kitten inside with a nice little whistle.:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm trying to figure out a muffler for my STG2R. I want it to sound aggressive and don't mind it being on the louder side, but the 3"DP and 5" straight pipe is getting to be a bit much. I drive around 500 miles a week for work and I'm constantly on the phone.

I'm leaning towards a 5" plain jane MBRP but I'm still unsure... Maybe an MBRP "quiet tone"?

Any suggestions or tips?

Sadly, I've only got the stg2 3794...but she sings:D
I've got a 4" MBRP Turn Down exhaust and a 3" DP that IMHO is a wonderful combination...one caveat with my set up is I am a little higher off the ground than stock, so I think that helps with resonance issues others have talked about with the TD style exhaust, because I don't get any of it. I think the truck idles as quiet as any could want and has a nice throaty diesel sound when just scootin around, however ITS A NASTY S.O.B when the skinny pedal is buried:thumb:
coupled with the insane performance whistle you get with a Danville charger, it's blissful to my enthusiast ear:angel:

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho
Hahaha! How do you like the turbo? I been eyeball'n that same turbo, whenever I get my motor build paid off. Driveability? EGTs? Towing?

Drivability truly is just like a stock turbo. As far as EGTs go my 680hp tune will get up to 1500ish. I don't tow anything super heavy, but with the 7000lb trailers that I do pull it does great.

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like was trying to get it tuned. ATP did the tuning and after a couple of different tunes it drives MUCH better. I do believe that Mark has changed the vane plate in the turbos made after 7/1/15 to make them easier to tune. That being said, I would assume that this potential downside doesn't apply anymore.

All in all I feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck and I like how it's a drop in replacement. If you're looking for a 700hp turbo, give or take, I say go for it. :thumb:

Last edited: